• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning UK

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Woodturning Uk magazine came out today for those of you that read it on you Ipad or computer. I have an article about making a Poi Pounder, and one of my pictures made to the cover... I'm having a hard time wiping the smile of my face... Let me know what you think if you read it. Aloha

Attachments

• IMG_9989.jpg
    IMG_9989.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 50
Sorry but I can't open it to read the article. I click on the thumbnail photo but can't go anywhere from there. Suggestions? BTW, there is a tremendous shortage of poi here in the South.

I gave an annual subscription to Woodturning to myself for Christmas because they have a lock on woodturning magazines, at least in print form, which I prefer over electronic "magazines". I look forward to reading the issue.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I got the magazine online this year. I'm still not so sure about that. As long as I read it cover to cover it's not too bad although I still find it very awkward to hold the IPAD. What I really hate is if you want to skip a bunch of pages to go forward or back. Woodturning isn't that bad about dividing articles. My American Handgunner starts all articles as 1 page and then follows up about 40 pages later with the rest of the article. A real pain in the patuty to have to flip through all those pages. Much easier with a paper copy. Woodturning magazine is just too pricey to get the paper version. I will look up your article.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Sorry but I can't open it to read the article. I click on the thumbnail photo but can't go anywhere from there. Suggestions? BTW, there is a tremendous shortage of poi here in the South.
Sorry, that’s just a screen shot of the cover... There is an App for IOS and Android called Woodturning, you can subscribe there, or www.thegmcgroup.com on your computer. After 30 years I still didn’t develop a taste for poi, lol. I can send you share... Aloha!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I got the magazine online this year. I'm still not so sure about that. As long as I read it cover to cover it's not too bad although I still find it very awkward to hold the IPAD. What I really hate is if you want to skip a bunch of pages to go forward or back. Woodturning isn't that bad about dividing articles. My American Handgunner starts all articles as 1 page and then follows up about 40 pages later with the rest of the article. A real pain in the patuty to have to flip through all those pages. Much easier with a paper copy. Woodturning magazine is just too pricey to get the paper version. I will look up your article.
Looking forward to your honest opinion, you have been doing this more years than me. I’m a rookie writer... Any inputs greatly appreciated. Aloha.

Website
www.facebook.com
Looking forward to your honest opinion, you have been doing this more years than me. I’m a rookie writer... Any inputs greatly appreciated. Aloha.

If you get any advice send it this way as I have only written 4 articles for "The Woodworker" magazine and still seem to spend ages getting it just right:):):)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
That must be your Stubby, Emiliano.......when will we see the Graduate?

Can you give us a photo of what a finished poi pounder looks like?

-----odie-----
Today I almost finished the base Im doing. I'm adding a 3.75 in base, made out cement and steel, its going to be bolted right at the base. The electrician almost finished adding a second 220 line for her, I'm calling her "My Lady". .. I will upload a picture of the poi pounder. One was just a poi pounder, the other one a secret box, with hand chased threads...

Attachments

• poi_box.jpg
    poi_box.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 28
  • main_poi.JPG
    main_poi.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 28
  • poi_money.jpg
    poi_money.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 28

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My wife came in this morning with my copy. A great article Emiliano. I did like the one where you can hide things in it have you thought about the lid being where the top is so it still could be used yet hide things in who would suspect a kitchen utensil had a hidden secret
Good idea!! I'll add a sketch of it in my "to do" sketch book... Thank you for the feed back. I love to hear from the readers! Aloha from Maui

Back