• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodcraft Slow Speed Grinder Runs VERY hot

UPDATE - Woodcraft Slow Speed Grinder Runs VERY hot

Please see my update in a new post to this thread below.

Picked up the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and used it today for the first time.

It runs extremely hot, almost untouchable and it seems this should not be the case. I have an older grinder that I let run for five minutes and it did not heat up at all.

Is it normal for a grinder to run so hot or did I get a defective Woodcraft grinder?

Replies will be appreciated. Thanks,
Doug Olsen

Last edited:
Thanks Folks,

It's off to Woodcraft this morning to return the grinder.

All of your help is appreciated because being electronics challenged I could only be suspicious and not know for sure.

Best Regards,
Doug Olsen

Update on Hot Slow Speed Grinder

I just ran the grinder for three minutes and it remained cool, only very very slightly warm. Yesterday I reshaped three turning tools and the grinder was on for several minutes and that is when it got hot.

Perhaps because of the "heavy sharpening work" it likely made the grinder get hot and that is what I was doing yesterday. But today, under what I would consider a "normal" sharpening session of about four minutes, it did not get hot.

Therefore, should I consider it OK if the grinder gets hot when running for several minutes on longer running jobs? On short durations it does not heat up. Thanks guys. Doug

Nope, sounds like a bad grinder. If run non stop, they will get warm, but if it gets hot enough that your hand is uncomfortable on it, that is too hot. I have a 2 hp planer that I ran for a couple of hours, taking some dry oak down in thickness. It got pretty warm, but not hot. If you are pushing down hard enough to stop the wheels, and keep on doing that, it will over work the motor, and that could make it warmer.

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree. I've run my Woodcraft grinder for long periods of time when I have turners over and we reshape a lot of their tools. It just gets warm. I have 4 other grinders and none of them gets even close to what I would call hot.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Doug:

I spent about 35 minutes Friday night sharpening a bunch of tools before a day-long turning demo yesterday, and recalled your post here. My Woodcraft grinder was mostly "ON" during the entire time, and never heated up to anything I could detect above the grinder's starting "cold" temperature before I began. There's no reason why you should have excessive heating in such a simple tool. I have TWO of these Woodcraft 8" grinders, and neither of them heat-up in use. Probably bad bearings or a mis-aligned motor shaft. Hope you get the situation resolved.

Rob

Returning grinder

Thanks to everyone.

It looks quite conclusive that the Grinder I have is defective so it will be returned Monday. I don't know yet if I'll opt for an exchange or a refund but back it goes.

All the best,
Doug

At our clubs symposium last October, they held a youth turning program one evening after the demos were over. The youth participants all recieved a set of tools, including a 5/8" bowl gouge. The gouges were new and had the conventional blunt angle factory grind typical of off shore tools. Before the program, I was fortunate to get the task of sharpening 12 bowl gouges to a fingernail grind with a Varigrind jig. All twelve were done one after another, probably took an hour or more with going at it pretty aggresively. The grinding was done on a Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder. The grinder never got warm enough that it would have been uncomfortable to leave your hand on it for 15 seconds or longer. Guessing top temperature was about 105 to 110 F. Ambient was probably 80 F or better.

A grinder that gets to hot to place your hand on within 10 minutes, even if working it near its capacity, is not right.

Back