• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodcentral???

One of my other favorite discussion sites to check with my morning coffee is Woodcentral. Lately can't seem to access the site or discussion...bookmark doesn't work and entering the base url doesn't work either. Is it me...or is something wrong?

As some here may know WoodCentral recently went through both a host server and a software change. Ellis' IT team has working to bring the various elements of the site up to speed in the new format. Early yesterday, the host server's malware scan returned a detection that shut down the entire site to protect from any dissemination. Hence the "403" prohibition screen you'll see.

I have been informed that it appears the apparent malware may have spread throughout the site software's many components, from forums to all(?) the other sub-sections. It has thus put the massive archive of resources, beyond the mere forum pages, in real jeopardy. If they can't "scrub" the entire suite and stored data clean, we may be looking at the loss of one of the Internet's (if not "The") premiere woodworking sites.

For any here who converse with Ellis, please don't badger him with inquiries; there is nothing he can do as everything's in the IT's hands. As I'm sure you can understand, after 20+ years of effort and dedication, both intellectual and financial, Ellis doesn't need a bunch people seeking answers that he can't give.

All that said, WoodCentral is NOT DEAD! It's only asleep, so stay tuned.

If I get further material information, I'll post it here.

Update: Just informed that they are still searching the site's nooks and crannies for exactly what triggered all of this so it may not be "rampant" through the whole thing. Let's all hope it was just some random bit of code sitting in some message that got flagged.

Ain't the internet wonderful?

If they can't "scrub" the entire suite and stored data clean, we may be looking at the loss of one of the Internet's (if not "The") premiere woodworking sites.
With today's internet environment - hopefully they backed up the data in cloud storage frequently, Just for times like these.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Update: Just informed that they are still searching the site's nooks and crannies for exactly what triggered all of this so it may not be "rampant" through the whole thing. Let's all hope it was just some random bit of code sitting in some message that got flagged.

Ain't the internet wonderful?
Thanks for shedding some light on this situation. We just have to be patient!

Back