• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood veneer auto dash parts

Hello all,
I am applying a lacewood veneer over the existing surfaces of the dash and glove box of my classic car. There is about 7 pieces in all. I am wondering what you guys would use to finish this surface for a convertible car. My thoughts would be to use oil based poly for its hardness in this environment.

I will not stain it as the gloss over this wood with the little ambering of poly will be beautiful. Since I have noticed that lacewood is not a perfectly smooth wood, can I build up more coats of poly to get to a smooth surface?

Can some of you get me on the right track? Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks
GPope

As my finishing friends in another forum are fond of pointing out - poly's main advantage is abrasion resistance, which makes it great for floors, and not much else. I would go with an alkyd resin varnish like Behlin's Rockhard, or, if you want to wipe it on, Waterlox. I have built a really nice, smooth finish with 8 to 10 coats of Waterlox Original.

I was looking at Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. On the label it says it has UV protectors, good for water and moisture and great for temperature changes. Is that a good brand or does someone else make a better product? It is for exterior use and looks like it might fit the build.

In a convertible, sun will definitely be a factor.

Thanks

Spar varnish is used on sailboat spars, hence the name, so it's definitely suitable for outdoor exposure. It usually needs a sanding and re-coat every year or two. I used Minwax's Helmsman Spar Urethane on this outdoor sculpture: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8eg0u/kwameweb/

After about three years, it could benefit from refinishing, but the sanding is daunting to say the least. Much easier for flat or round work.

Joe (Kwame = born on Saturday; no African heritage that I know of)

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
That's a really cool mailbox

but in these parts (NH), that sculpture is a magnet for bored teenagers, some alcohol and a baseball bat.

Very few mailboxes are left alone. :^(

Joe,
Since the dash will be in a protested area (auto), will the spar varnish need that much upkeep? It not like its going to be in the outdoor environment constantly, if at all. I would say that sun and temperature change (hot summer to cold winter) as the only realistic environmental challenges.

Dick, I looked up Rockhard and Waterlox, both fine products. Would I be in trouble with the UV and temperature change.

I also need something that wil not need regular maintenance.

Thanks
Pope

I had a house built a few years back. We have wood doors. I talked to a number of pro painters and they said that the outside doors should be finished with a spar varnish - due to the UV protection it provided. The outside doors are protected by a porch pretty much and in 6 years have not needed to be re-finished. Some of the doors do get morning sun and others get the afternoon sun for a couple of hours. But they seem to be fine. For inside doors I was told to use polyurethane. Both are oil based and applied about the same - look the same, etc. I think I would go with the spar varnish. Krylon has a spray can UV protection that can be put on before putting on another finish. I have not had enough use to tell you any results though.

Hugh

Wouldn't you need to find a finish that doesn't yellow with time? It has been my experience that varnish starts to yellow in a short period even Helmsman. From the gulf coast of Texas,
Gentleben

Back