• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood!.....the book from Eric Meier from "the wood database" site

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
View: https://youtu.be/IgiRxXGn36Q

Just wondering if anyone here has this book. $35 from Amazon.

I've been using the wood database site for quite a long time for information, and, I'm considering buying his book.

I also have "Wood, identification and use" by Terry Porter......and, that's also good.

Let me know what you think. :D

-----odie-----

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just looked and don't have that book. I have Terry Porter's book and 2 books by Bruce Hoadley that I highly recommend.

You might take a look at "The Woodbook" , almost 800 pages of different woods with three views of each wood. The original books actually had three slices of each wood in the book. $24.89 at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Romeyn-Hough...&qid=1516966436&sr=8-1&keywords=the+wood+book
Another interesting old little book is "What wood is that" with 40 slices of actual wood, little 0ver $17 also at amazon.
I have another that shows end grain close ups, bark and leaves of tons of woods but at this moment I don't know where I have it. The Woodbook is pretty impressive.

odie

TOTW Team
Another interesting old little book is "What wood is that" with 40 slices of actual wood

I actually have this.......somewhere......stashed away. Haven't seen it for a long time, but I know it's here somewhere. :(

-----odie-----

Does this book contain information not in Bruce Hoadley's UNDERSTANDING WOOD?
Hoadley covers the engineering aspect of wood, to my thinking, quite well.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I actually have this.......somewhere......stashed away. Haven't seen it for a long time, but I know it's here somewhere. :(

-----odie-----

One of these days I hope that I'll find that secret location where all of my missing stuff is hiding.

BTW, I have both of Hoadley's books, "Understanding Wood" and "Identifying Wood" and have found both to be excellent resources. They are a bit technical which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

A book with actual slices of wood is nice, but there is so much variability even in samples from the same tree that it may not be as useful as first impressions might indicate.

odie

TOTW Team
A book with actual slices of wood is nice, but there is so much variability even in samples from the same tree that it may not be as useful as first impressions might indicate.

This is true.......the samples never did live up to my expectations, and this is the reason they are "somewhere" I can't remember! They were all long grain, and not end grain IIRC.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
This is true.......the samples never did live up to my expectations, and this is the reason they are "somewhere" I can't remember! They were all long grain, and not end grain IIRC.

-----odie-----

According to Hoadley, the best way by far to identify wood is by looking at the end grain. Of course, most all of the books with samples and most all the pictures in books are side grain. If somebody is using the chips to select what wood to use for a piece of furniture or kitchen cabinets then it sort of makes sense, but not very good for making a positive identification.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have the encyclopedia of wood by Aidan Walker.... Also, my to go book here is the University of Hawaii forestry book. Simply amazing the amount of different trees the State DLNR planted in the early 50's. Some have become invasive species... I have it in print and PDF. I'm going to add the link to it, if I can find it... lol...

Attachments

• Forest.png
    Forest.png
    729.2 KB · Views: 10
Back