• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wiring new inverter VFD?

Powermatic sent me a new VFD model to replace my old one. So far they have not come up with a wiring diagram that works! The old S1 is no longer made. Any engineers out there with this experience? I am beyond frustrated with PWR!

Powermatic sent me a new VFD model to replace my old one. So far they have not come up with a wiring diagram that works! The old S1 is no longer made. Any engineers out there with this experience? I am beyond frustrated with PWR!
First PM should have provided a manual with all connections needed. If you would like take the brand name and model number off of the new VFD and post it here then I can look up the manual and tell you what the connections should be.

Don, thanks so much. The new VFD is a Delta Electronics D015E21A. I have a Powermatic 2020 4 1/2 years old. Luckily they replaced it at no cost but it took them 2 1/2 months! No manual provided and I have tried 3 wiring schematics provided by them, all to no avail! Unbelievable to say the least. Thanks again.

Dick, are you asking about wiring the power supply to the VFD, or the VFD to the motor, or the VFD to the lathe, or all three?

The first suggestion may not be possible--take a photograph of the prior wiring before you disconnect.

Second suggestion, there are several good references for Powermatic 3520's--maybe it's the same on yours, or at least similar enough for that info to be helpful. Here are 2 good ones:

https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/powermatic-3520b-vfd-replacement.14784/

https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/pmcontrol3.html

Third suggestion, connecting the power supply to the VFD is fairly straightforward and the manual for the VFD will tell you how. Similarly, wiring the VFD to the motor is fairly straightforward--you just have to follow how the previous VFD did it (if you still can). I tried to attach a copy of a Delta VFD manual, but it was too large a file. It's probably not exactly the one you want, but you can get it from the Delta web site (note, it's NOT Delta woodworking tools)

Wiring the VFD to the lathe controls is trickier, and depends on how many wires you have running between the two. Generally 3 or 4, plus 2 going to the speed readout. If the attached materials don't answer your questions, maybe check what color wires you have connected to headstock control locations and post that info. Someone with a 2020 could then look at their VFD and see which wire is connected to which terminal.

Back