• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Winter 2007 Contest!!!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Well, in an effort to encourage us to get back to the lathe, I am now announcing the Winter 2007 forum contest

Eccentric Goblets!

While this may seem like any goblet I would own (eccentric, get it?) it is really centered around the wonderful article of said topic by Barbara Dill on page 52 of the AAW Journal, American Woodturner.

The rules are real simple:
Item must have been turned between November 15th 2007 and January 1st 2008.
Each forum member is limited to one entry, but may post up to two photos of it.
You do not have to be an AAW member but we would like it if you were and you have to buy the journal to get the article anyway.
It must be made of wood and nothing else. (Contrary to recent postings, it can be any wood, let your conscience be your guide)
Yes it COULD be dyed, bleached, carved, segmented, boiled, bent, burned, etc.
It must be under 16" tall and no more than 6" in diameter
DEADLINE is January 2, 2008
You must upload the photos to the gallery with the title of
Winter 2007 contest
After that email steve@turningwood.com and tell me you have uploaded the photo.

Please understand the article and the inherent dangers in turning eccentric and off-centered pieces and be careful.

Last edited:
Wow! One thing I'm not short on right now is reasons to work on the lathe.

Santa's got me working double shifts with the elves trying to get everything ready for Christmas. It's going to be tough to find the time to crank out something else before New Years.

Looks like I better shut off the computer and get back down to the shop.

Ed

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Small Problem

In light of the fact that I have not as yet received my winter Journal with the article on page 52 by Barbara Dill...
Sure makes it difficult to read... Even harder to use as a guide (and the clock is running):(

Daleville

George,

i could send ya my notes from 2006 va symposium in daleville, but sometimes i can not even read my handwriting

the 2007 nc symposium had all the handouts in a binder for nomial cost, but Barabara did not demo :cool2:

forget about me sending my copy of american woodturner, i was very happy with its arrival date

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
In light of the fact that I have not as yet received my winter Journal with the article on page 52 by Barbara Dill...
Sure makes it difficult to read... Even harder to use as a guide (and the clock is running):(

Me neither. I had to go to B&N to get the journal so I read about deforestation.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Thank You!

Thanks to the efforts of Ed McDonnell and George Hicks, I now have TWO copies of the article to work with...
PROBABLY, when I go to get the mail today, the Journal will be in ther waiting - How things usually work for me.
Woodturners are WONDERFUL PEEOPLE, even the ones I don't agree with about everything.
Thanks,
G

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Since many people have not gotten their journal yet, and we should use it as a guide line, maybe we should set the deadline to Feb 1st.

Nick

The announce date is whenever you get your journal or I put it up on the forums when I get my journal (usually).

The deadlines are set to allow us to get the contest judged, the winners announced and get the BIOS and photos to the Journal in time for publishing.

The amount of time to complete is
A) From announcement to the close date in the Journal (set about 6 weeks before the Journal comes out)
B) Usually (now) about 4 weeks.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
The 2nd, at midnight (theoretically) but what happens is I wake up, put the closure together, and send off the email to the judge.

It is a secret judge, but someone very well known in the off center circles.

Back