• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Who Was Your Mentor?

Joshua Friend

Journal Editor
AAW Staff
Hello everyone! In case you did not see my Editor's Note in the February 2024 journal, I am looking to publish a selection of short pieces about mentorship -- in particular, who made a big difference in your woodturning journey of learning? Below is what I wrote in the February journal. Please email me with your stories and photos. Would love to celebrate our mentors and acknowledge the importance of teaching others...

Thanks,
--Joshua Friend, Editor, American Woodturner

[from February 2024 journal]
Editor’s Note

Welcome to another year with the AAW. The benefits of membership extend far beyond the valuable publications you receive: you also have access to an amazingly generous community of woodturners. Typically, the best publishing ideas come from this community, and I’d like to invite you to contribute to one such idea—examples of mentorship.

Many of us started woodturning because we were inspired by and/or supported by someone else—a specific turner, a family member, a friend, or even a stranger. I took note when a turner thanked me for featuring her work in AW: “Thank you so much for sharing my work. It means a lot to me—but maybe even more to the people who have helped me.” This sparked the idea to publish short stories of appreciation for those who have helped us along the way.

So I invite you to email me (editor@woodturner.org) the short story of who gave you that essential boost in woodturning. Please keep it to about 300 words, and photos are welcome. Depending on the responses I receive, I hope to publish a sampling showing that “each one teach one” has a meaningful impact on us all.

Hello Joshua, thank you for your work on AW. An excellent publication. My original mentoring happened before YouTube, and only through books, but I was able to take a class from him many years later. I appreciate the opportunity to send you my story. Mentoring matters, even if it’s just sharing our stories and experiences.

Back