• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Which Vacuum Chuck for Jet 1442?

Can anyone give me some advice for a vacuum chuck for a Jet 1442? I saw one at Packard's called "Holdfast" for $249. Would this one work on my lathe or is there something that might be better. I do have a compressor, but am not real adept at building equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Do it yourself.

Have you thought about making one yourself? Checkout http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm. Checkout Part 5 Miscellaneous Info, Vacuum Chucking. I made the vacuum pump and the vacuum chuck and it works great. This site has plans for construction and "Joe" also sells the parts on the website. If you are going to make a purchase and you belong a club, you might consider going in with several others, the shipping is high.

Total cost on my vacuum chuck was about $50, but I got most of my parts locally.

You still need to come up with a vacuum pump, they have them on the website also.

Last edited:
Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Jeff,

If possible post your location. I built my own system for a small amount of money. Some simple plumbing stuff from Lowes and a used pump from Surplus Center, and a diagram from the Oneway site made me a happy camper.

There may be many turners who are close to you who can help you get your system together. If you email me, I will help you out as much as I can. But I would go with a vacuum pump for your system. It is a really good way to go. At least for me. :)

Best wishes,
Dave

Back