• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where to find 16" bowl blanks......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello gentlemen......

I haven't been posting on this forum for awhile, but have been busy on my lathe. I still do check back here from time to time to see what's new!

I was just wondering where you've found sources of nice large bowl blanks up to 16" in diameter. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks to you all for all the past information, inspiration, and encouragement.

....odie

Here's one of my recent turnings.....3x10 Tulipwood! Took about six months for moisture content to stabilize. It took a real nice shine with the Beal system.

258597944.jpg

turning blanks

Suggest you call local sawmills to see if they have cut off the ends of some logs. Also, see if there is a log-yard, a place that buys logs from contractors and sells them to mills, here and overseas. Then, there is the tree removal companies, all of which have logs that they need to get rid of. Usually their price is cheapest. Phil

Very nice bowl, Odie, and nice wood as well. One comment if you don't mind...I would have prefered a continuous curve to the rim instead of the angle on the last inch or so.

Website
www.michaelvickery.com
Usually from large trees. :p

I get a lot of stuff from a tree trimmer but usually stuff that big they will cut into smaller sections so they can load them more easily. Any log over 14 or so inches they end up cutting to short to be used for big bowls.

All of the stuff I have gotten that big was stuff I cut from downed trees or got from turners that cut it them selves. Keep in mind once you take in account the sap wood on either side and cutting the pith out ect I would say you probably are going to need about a 20 inch tree ( give or take) to get a solid 16 inch bowl blank.
Make friends with a tree trimmer, also try to get a contact in the city they will take down large tree by roads or it parks and I have found them willing to work with me. Construction sites are a great source for downed trees.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
What do you want and where are you?

odie said:
Hello gentlemen......

I haven't been posting on this forum for awhile, but have been busy on my lathe. I still do check back here from time to time to see what's new!

I was just wondering where you've found sources of nice large bowl blanks up to 16" in diameter. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks to you all for all the past information, inspiration, and encouragement.

....odie

Here's one of my recent turnings.....3x10 Tulipwood! Took about six months for moisture content to stabilize. It took a real nice shine with the Beal system.

258597944.jpg
Odie,
I sell bowl blanks at turning symposiums and woodworking shows here in UpState NY (near Great Barrington, MA). If you are not close by, there will probably be someone in your area who can help.
If near, I have cherry, cherry burl, red oak, honey locust, maple (some curly some spalted, some both) and some other stuff I am probably just not thinking of. I cut new stuff all the time, I have some big white birch comming up I think.

Griesbach, I agree with you 110% but Odie I have to tell you that there is a guy in our club who almost always has somekind of reverse curve at the top of his bowls. He gets in to Art Shows and he Sells when he is there. I do traditional shapes and follow the rules, I get bounce by 50% of the juries and when I get in stuff hasn't sold this year. There is a high likihood Griesbach and I and all the books, histories and traditions are just plain wrong so go with shapes that do something for you.

Sorry Griesbach, like I said I'm with you but I needed to share my recent and discouraging (for us anyway) observation with Odie.

Frank

KEW

I like the reverse curve, I just think it would be better if it were a) more of a continued curve and less of a flat, or b) had a crisp corner leading into the flat.
Still beautiful wood and a nice form from my perspective.

Cheers,
Kurt

odie

TOTW Team
Barbara Gill said:
I am not a gentlemen nor are all of the other women woodturners. :rolleyes:

You don't indicate where you are located. Wood finder is a good way to locate local suppliers.

Barbara......sorry about that. That isn't the first time my short sightedness in word usage has got me in trouble!.....and, yes, I'm fully aware of the excellent and knowledgeable lady turners among us. Never meant to not include you!

....odie

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
KEW said:
I like the reverse curve, I just think it would be better if it were a) more of a continued curve and less of a flat, or b) had a crisp corner leading into the flat.
Still beautiful wood and a nice form from my perspective.

Cheers,
Kurt

Thanks for all the input on my choice of design. Well, what can I say.......? I calls 'em as I sees "em!

I use many different shapes in my bowl designs.....and, sometimes I makes 'em up as I goes along! As I look at it, I'm the most important critic I need to please with my "eye for art"!!!!! (I don't, haven't, and do not intend to compete in bowl design competition.....this hobby is strictly a personal endeavour.)

I would agree, though. That particular piece of Tulipwood would have also looked well without the abrupt edge. As far as I'm concerned, about the only thing that would have killed that piece of wood......is too complicated a form.

Later, men........(and ladies! ;) )

....odie

Odie -
I also sell turning blanks. I frequently have, or can cut, 16" or greater diameter blanks in Mesquite, Osage Orange, Sycamore, Ash and the like.
You can see some of my wood at www.TexasWoodcrafts.net.
Lloyd

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Lloyd Stahl said:
Odie -
I also sell turning blanks. I frequently have, or can cut, 16" or greater diameter blanks in Mesquite, Osage Orange, Sycamore, Ash and the like.
You can see some of my wood at www.TexasWoodcrafts.net.
Lloyd
Lloyd,
Do you ever get Texas ebony? I would be interested in some of that... As a purchase or in trade for some of my stuff.
Let me know.
G

Website
www.velvitoil.com
odie said:
Barbara......sorry about that. That isn't the first time my short sightedness in word usage has got me in trouble!.....and, yes, I'm fully aware of the excellent and knowledgeable lady turners among us. Never meant to not include you!

....odie

Odie, no problem. I couldn't resist.
:D

odie

TOTW Team
Hello All......

Looks like there'll be no more posts on this thread. OK, thanks to Barbara Gill and Lloyd Stahl, I've added texaswoodcrafts and woodfinder onto my log of sources for wood. I'm currently running up on some other leads as well.

BTW: I'm in Montana, so most of the local wood is softwoods....not suitable for our purposes. I suppose some of the local tree trimmers might have some hardwoods, though.

Thanks to you all.

sincerely,

.....odie

Back