• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where Can I Find a 1 1/4 - 8tpi Bolt 1 1/2" Long

I am looking for a single bolt that will thread into my 1 1/4" by 8 TPI chucks. I want the bolt to be 1 1/2 inches long (1 3/8 also works). I have searched the internet a few times and found a lot of sources for a 1 1/4- 7 TPI, but not 8 TPI. The only source I have found for 1 1/4-8TPI is McMaster Carr., but unfortunately the shortest length they sell is 3 inches. I suppose this could be cut down, but I don't relish the prospect. Does anyone know where I could find such a bolt?
Just a thought. Buy the three-inch length and cut two inches off. Grind or file the ends of the threads as needed.

Buy the one from McMaster and cut it down. Find a friend with a cut off tool. I got one from HF for about $10.00 on sale and with a few cut off wheels it should go quickly.
As I age I find that I do not like to saw steel bars by hand so I got one and it comes in handy and at that price it's worth it for very occasional use.
Use it carefully as it sends bits of steel and abrasive all over.
The 1 1/4"-7 bolt is a structural steel construction bolt.
The last sentence is incorrect. The 8tpi is the structural thread/bolt/nut. That’s why it’s harder to find. And because it’s a structural bolt thread, it’ll be even harder to find a structural bolt that’s as short as the OP wants.

If you have a scrap steel dealer/reseller, try them for such a bolt. I’ve gotten both 1” and 1-1/4 bolts and nuts from such a place here in Houston — paid for them by the pound (which worked out to just a couple dollars each).

Best of luck, whatever way you go.

I am looking for a single bolt that will thread into my 1 1/4" by 8 TPI chucks. I want the bolt to be 1 1/2 inches long (1 3/8 also works). I have searched the internet a few times and found a lot of sources for a 1 1/4- 7 TPI, but not 8 TPI. The only source I have found for 1 1/4-8TPI is McMaster Carr., but unfortunately the shortest length they sell is 3 inches. I suppose this could be cut down, but I don't relish the prospect. Does anyone know where I could find such a bolt?
Mark- This would be easy to cut with a metal cutting chopsaw. A common tool among makers so even if you don't have one you likely know someone who does. I've cut hundreds this way. Don't try to cut this with a hacksaw while it's chucked and turning in your lathe.

Back