• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

what's the WoW story?

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
so, I have been to this site WoW... World of Woodturning or something like that. This was a few months ago and I could not navigate throught it for some reason. I keep hearing about it but just saw something that elluded to the idea that it is exclusive in nature and you have to be invited!? What's up with this site?

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
so, I have been to this site WoW... World of Woodturning or something like that. This was a few months ago and I could not navigate throught it for some reason. I keep hearing about it but just saw something that elluded to the idea that it is exclusive in nature and you have to be invited!? What's up with this site?
Groucho Marx is reported to have said that he wouldn't be a member of any club that wanted him (or words to that effect). I am of a like mind. A friend offered to "sponsor" me...

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
so, whats the story then? Is it some sort of exclusive "club"? Is there a secret handshake or code word or something? What the .........? Are you kidding me? What could they be gaining from this? All I know about it is that you can post pics, critique pics and BS on a forum section, but you didn't hear that from me! ;)

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Peter,

The WOW site was started by Herm de Vries a few years ago.

There were many of us that frequented a usenet forum called rec.crafts.woodturning. At that time there began to be a lot of spamming and trolls that made it difficult to discuss the main topic of the group. So Herm decided to create a place where he could control that type of thing.

So there is no secret handshake or anything. Just a place for woodturners to talk woodturning. :) All you have to do is ask for an invite from a member, or from Herm himself. All he requires is a real name and an valid email address.

There are some great turners that hang out there. And hundreds of photos and tutorials on just about anything related to woodturning.

Best wishes,
Dave

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Peter,
There's nothing sinister about the WOW site. I've been an active member there for several years. As Dave stated, the only reason that an invitation is required is to keep out the spammers and other commercial interest. It's a very active site with great people all sharing their knowledge and experiences. The software that runs the site is different from most forum style sites - not by design, but because that's the style of software that the host company uses. Membership is a privilege and it’s free (the site runs on a few donations), but inactive members are automatically dropped from the site. Also, as Dave said, real names are required. This helps keep people very polite and civil towards each other. There is quite a bit more “critiquing†of woodturning on the WOW site compared to other sites, but critiques are only offered if they are requested by the maker of the work. Nasty, unsolicited comments are not tolerated. It’s a very nice woodturning environment. It’s a lot like our AAW forum, but the site structure is different. A lot of the same people participate. If you’d like to receive an invitation, you only have to ask any member. I’d be happy to arrange it for you if you’d like.
Malcolm Tibbetts
malcolm@tahoeturner.com

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Peter,
There's nothing sinister about the WOW site. I've been an active member there for several years. As Dave stated, the only reason that an invitation is required is to keep out the spammers and other commercial interest. It's a very active site with great people all sharing their knowledge and experiences. The software that runs the site is different from most forum style sites - not by design, but because that's the style of software that the host company uses. Membership is a privilege and it’s free (the site runs on a few donations), but inactive members are automatically dropped from the site. Also, as Dave said, real names are required. This helps keep people very polite and civil towards each other. There is quite a bit more “critiquing†of woodturning on the WOW site compared to other sites, but critiques are only offered if they are requested by the maker of the work. Nasty, unsolicited comments are not tolerated. It’s a very nice woodturning environment. It’s a lot like our AAW forum, but the site structure is different. A lot of the same people participate. If you’d like to receive an invitation, you only have to ask any member. I’d be happy to arrange it for you if you’d like.
Malcolm Tibbetts
malcolm@tahoeturner.com

Malcolm,
Thank you for clearing that up! As you can tell, till now, I was put off (to say the least) by the idea of an "exclusive" site. The guy who made the offer to me, DID treat it like some kind of secret handshake kind of thing (at least that's the impression I GOT, not necessarily what he meant). I don't know if he came across as awkward or if I just felt that way about it, but, from the conversation, I felt like I didn't want to get into an "exclusive club" (it's a personal issue from childhood:mad:). Your explanation makes the WoW site sound much more egalitarian than the first impression I got. I now understand that the basis isn't exclusion but safety. I like safe, AND equal.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
George, I have been on WoW almost since the beginning, although I have not posted there a lot, and I would like to reinforce what Malcolm and Dave wrote. It was set up to keep it friendly and keep out the anonymous garbage that can pollute other places. Not everyone who hides their name is trouble, but there are enough of them to make it worthwhile. Of course, trouble can occur even if you do post your name! ;) But Herm is not a control freak, and is pretty laid back, as are the rest of the moderators there. There is a lot of very nice work there by experienced turners, and for beginners, it is a good place to post as well.

Bill

WoW site

Hey George,

As Malcolm described, WoW is a very interesting and progressive site. Some of the newest, and oldest, ideas in woodturning show up there frequently. I have been a member for several years and try to see what's going on a couple times a week. I don't post much there (or anywhere really), but enjoy the pictures, discussions, and congenial interaction. If you would like an invitation, please let me know. You will most likely recognize many of the names there.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I've looked for WoW a couple of times, found lots of sites, but none that appear to have forums attached.

Interesting to hear the history of WoW, sounds like it was being created about the time I backed out of wood-working and on-line stuff for a few years.

if anyone else here was around back then, I ran the "should rec.woodworking split". Back then it was the only real woodworking on-line forum (this was before web forums got going) and got over 400 posts a day. The majority didn't want it split, so the turners formed rec.crafts.woodturning, the Neader's went off to an e-mail list (and later I think a web forum).

But that was what, 12, 13 years ago (a couple life-times in the on-line world)

TTFN
Ralph

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
sounds pretty cool. The cpl times I have been there it has been via a link and I remember being suprised that I was able to view the info from that specific link but could not go anywhere else on the site. Kind of a bummer that there is no secret handshake. That would make it all the more interesting! ;) As with all things woodturning that I have come across so far, I am sure it is loaded with great people. I was just curious what the story was! thanks

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Hey George,

As Malcolm described, WoW is a very interesting and progressive site. Some of the newest, and oldest, ideas in woodturning show up there frequently. I have been a member for several years and try to see what's going on a couple times a week. I don't post much there (or anywhere really), but enjoy the pictures, discussions, and congenial interaction. If you would like an invitation, please let me know. You will most likely recognize many of the names there.
Hey Don,
You SHOULD post more, AND post images of your work... Humility is a virtue, but you shouldn't hide your light under a basket. I will talk with you more about WoW at the next club meeting, it sounds better all the time!

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
George, I have been on WoW almost since the beginning, although I have not posted there a lot, and I would like to reinforce what Malcolm and Dave wrote. It was set up to keep it friendly and keep out the anonymous garbage that can pollute other places. Not everyone who hides their name is trouble, but there are enough of them to make it worthwhile. Of course, trouble can occur even if you do post your name! ;) But Herm is not a control freak, and is pretty laid back, as are the rest of the moderators there. There is a lot of very nice work there by experienced turners, and for beginners, it is a good place to post as well.

Bill
HMmmmmm... Do you know someone who got in trouble, using their real name on another site, for speaking the truth??? :eek:
As I said to Don, I am going to have to look into it further...
As a side note, it looks a lot like the photo gallery is a ghost town lately. ANYONE, what's up with that? Getting kids back to school? Actual WORK?

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
More of the truth: Herm started the site because we couldn't post pictures on the ng (rec.crafts.woodturning) and a little because of the trolls on the ng (as Dave pointed out). The site MyFamily.com is a family site that most of the subscribers use to post family albums, thus "recipes" is one of the files or folders. It really wasn't meant to be an international woodturners' site but Herm, and the 17 of us original members, never dreamed it would blossom to the proportions it has. So, the real reason for the invitation only is because MyFamily is meant to keep family info and photos protected from spammers and hackers.

All the praises posted are true. I like it because I can just look at all the pictures of what hundreds of turners are producing and either read the comments or not.

Website
www.woodstoppers.com
Ruth- Browsing the pics is exactly what I wanted to do! Well, I wanted to see what the site was all about too but I found out about the site because i was trying to view the work of someone (cannot remember who it was now) who had pics posted there. Seems kind of "underground" to me.... more on the DL as it were..... but not really cause everyone seems to know about it anyway! ;)

I think all members (aaw members) should have to get a AAW tattoo starting in 2008!! ;)

I have been a member of the WOW site for about 6 months. At first I was a little intimidated by the work being posted, but found that when I asked for a critique it was honest and fair, nothing mean or degrading. All seem willing to help. The only problem I have had with the site is it can be real slow at times. It does take some time to learn the navigation as Ruth said. They have a few rules that everyone needs to remember, and you will get those when you are invited. They are rules that should apply to most boards, but sometimes don't. I am not sure who can invite people, I don't think I can, and would not know how to do it if I could.

Jeff

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
I have been a member of the WOW site for about 6 months... I am not sure who can invite people, I don't think I can, and would not know how to do it if I could.
Jeff

Jeff, Actually any member can invite others. On the "front page" there's an "Add Members" link just above the "Members" listing about 1/2 way down the right column. (You could also extend invitations from within the members section.) Once you follow the link, you merely enter the first & last names, gender and email address for the rules, temporary username and passwords to be sent. (I don't know why gender is important to the myfamily.com people, but invitations won't go without it.)

I've been a WoW member since May, '02. It's almost overwhelming now given the gallery and discussion content of the site.

If others would like an invitation send a private message from this forum to a WoW member and make sure you include your first and last names plus a valid email address - you can leave the gender guessing up to us.

WoW

There is nothing underground, elitist, or untoward about Wow. There are any number of special interest sites that have a "limited" membership. This is to keep out trolls, hate groups, actively psychotic intruders, commercial exploiters, and others who would destroy the utility of the site. Having been active on the net since '92, I have seen any number of useful and interesting sites destroyed by the above wretches -- it is a very real threat to any successful net community.

By the way, I found it easier to get on to WoW than this AAW blog even though I am an AAW member. Even after emailing my name and member ID number, I was twice denied membership because the AAW sysadmin thought I sounded like a bot.

I have been a member of WoW for some time. People are open, friendly, knowledgeable, and very willing to provide help. This specifically includes the site owner, Herman de Vries who clearly invests a lot of time and effort into making WoW a treasure for members.

Michael

Back