• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What tools for hollowing ??

What type, brand of tools do you use for your hollowing.

There is a large selection to chose from and at the cost of each its not a Buy and try situation.

I want to do freehand Hollowing and some of the tools that i kind of narowed it to are the Robert Sorbys Rs2000, which is the same as the Dennis Stewart system, the Hamlet Little Brother and the Kelton Hollower Tools and handle.

My lathe is a Jet 14*42 and my intentions are to work within that machines capabilities. :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Roy I prefer the John Jordan hollowing tools. I haven't owned a lot of different ones. I do have a Sorby bent tool with a teardrop scraper but I almost never use it except for cleaning up the inside of vessels that you can see into. I don't do a lot of large hollowing so my techniques aren't as good. Ifind the Jordan tools to be easy to use. Aggresive if you want them to be. The tips are easy to sharpen and really inexpensive to replace. (I bought a dozen from Enco for 75 cents each. These make 2 when you cut them in half).
I made mine so I made a 1/2" set and then I've started on a 3/4" set. I made some cutters like Lyle Jamieson's but I don't like them. Every once in a while they are just the right tool but most of the time the Jordan tools work great.
I do use a captured bar system sometimes. I use the Jordan tools with this as well.

Roy,

I don't have much expericence myself, but I have made some sawdust with the woodcut promforme, hamlet little brother, RS2000 armbrace with Bosch cutters, and a sorby hollow master. I particularly like the shielded cutters (the hamlet and woodcut tools) for most of my endgrain hollowing; I use the hollowmaster for going under the inside rim of bowls. My opinions shouldn't count for much, though, as I am still a novice at hollow forms.

There is an excellent series of review articles by Lyn Mangiameli in More Woodturning.

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

Topics inlcude hollowing tools, captive hollowing systems, captured tool rests, etc. Even if you don't agree with everything in the articles, they provide a wonderful overview of the options available with their pros and cons. Because they were written a few years back, some items are not discussed like the Elbo Tool hollowing system, etc. Still, makes a great place to start.

I'll second DougBrown. The Munro hollower is pretty nice for freehand work and smoother operating in my opinion than the bent shaft units. I have the Don Pencil and used it exclusively until I got the Munro. Now, I reach first for the Munro. I can't give an opinion on the captured systems since I've never owned one.
Good Luck

hallowing tools

do you have a set time frame or miles traveled for purchasing a hallowing tool?

if not the north carolina woodturning symposium which is titled TURNING & LEARNING will be october 5th - 7th

they are going to have a hands on learning center with multiple mini-lathes

they are also going to have vendor area

their web site is still being upgraded but you might contact one of the north carolina clubs for more info than i have

if not this symposium there may be some closer to your area which might help

american woodturner list connecticut, delaware, ohio, and pennsylvania with events in the near future closer than north carolina :D

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
DougBrown said:
I have a boring bar similar to the Lyle Jamison but what I love and use the most is the Rolly Munro Articulated Hollower
It's versital, easy to use, and gives a very nice cut(no sanding)
Good luck

Doug,

I took a look at the link you gave and that looks like a cutter designed mostly for end grain? Is that your experience or is it good on cross grain as well?

For what it is worth I use a set of Kelton Hollowers. I have the full set with handles with the Kelton Handles, though I noticed other handles have the right diameter holes to accept them. I tend to use the biggest or the smallest the most. I have been very pleased with them for end and cross grain, both for hogging and for light finish cuts. It has worked very well for me.

Dave

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
David Somers said:
Doug,

I took a look at the link you gave and that looks like a cutter designed mostly for end grain? Is that your experience or is it good on cross grain as well?

For what it is worth I use a set of Kelton Hollowers. I have the full set with handles with the Kelton Handles, though I noticed other handles have the right diameter holes to accept them. I tend to use the biggest or the smallest the most. I have been very pleased with them for end and cross grain, both for hogging and for light finish cuts. It has worked very well for me.

Dave
Dave,
The Munro will work on any grain orientation. IF you have any trouble using it, slow the lathe down till you find the sweet spot, even at low speeds, it cuts like crazy, or adjust the "hood" and make light fine finish cuts.
I have the large and small tools, I use them both consistently, for hollow and closed forms. It can also be used "wide open" for hogging out bowls. Cutter stays sharp for a long time.
George

love my Sorby Hollowmasters. Love the feel of them and the control I get. I actually use the scraping tips more than the smaller hollowing tips.

I also have begun using a homemade hook tool for a fair amount of the hollowing. Kinda like having a bowl gouge inside the form.

Finally, I regularly make tips and tools for special jobs. Ground down drill bits work well and can be modified for shape and size.

Dietrich

I think we have had previous threads about hollowing tools. You might want to search it.

I use mostly home made hollowing tools - drill rod with a tool bit glued in with CA glue. I even make my hook tools with the help of a torch. For store bought tools - I like the Stewart handle and the hooker tool from Stewart also. I know a couple of people who have purchased tools from John Jordan and have heard nothing but good things about them.

But if I can make it on my own - I do.
Hugh

Back