• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What kind of wood is this?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I purchased this piece of wood sight unseen from Woodcraft several years ago, and initially it was labeled as Bubinga. I don't think it's Bubinga.......so, what is it?

-----odie-----
IMG_5464 (2).JPG IMG_5465 (2).JPG

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
From the current Woodcraft site, I see this stock photo, and another that looks similar on the Wood Database online:
shopping

I also have two books on wood identification by Eric Meier and Terry Porter, and my conclusion is this is probably Cocobolo.

-----odie-----

Hmm, given the open pores on this wood, I would guess padouk or how ever you spell it.... Cocobolo is more closed grain. Found it, Padauk wood...

robo hippy

looks like waste block? ash?

The growth rings are a good indicator. Padauk and Honduran Rosewood grow in a wet tropical environment so the summer wood is always dominate and well defined. It’s normally two or three times bigger than the spring wood. Cocobolo grows in a dry upland savanna and the spring wood is bigger than or equal to the summer wood most years . It grows very slowly and the growth rings are subtle to barely visible.
There are more pores (spring vessels) in Padauk but as the photos (wood-database.com) show not many more
Padauk will fluoresce a faint yellow orange under a black light. Cocobolo is nonreactive.
If you cut that on the bandsaw before turning and the scraps haven’t been disposed of put one in a pail of water, Padauk will float, Cocobolo will sink.
4583D50C-4646-468B-B1A8-DB91E2E769FE.jpeg

View attachment 31933 View attachment 31934

Back