• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What is "Gold Paste"?

In Hilary Bowen's great book "Decorative Techniques for Woodturners ", she shows using a gold paste to enhance the grain of wood. Does anyone know what other (US) names this might go by - and sources? I do a search for "gold paste" and get a lot of seemingly unrelated hits.

Stephen

Stoppy's link doesn't look like it'd be appropriate for wood. Could be Hilary just grabbed "gold paste" terminology in the heat of battle. There's a product called "Rub 'n' Buff" in various finishes. It's a wax filled with powdered metal and such. But I don't see how it would enhance the grain of the wood, as it finishes substantially opaque. I haven't used it in over 20 years, though it's still around. Could be nice on finials.

Joe

Back