• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What’s on your lathe?

need some advice. Have an 8 inch claro walnut bowl I rough turned which has a defect. I can turn it smaller, leave it as a hole, or fill/highlight with copper powder/epoxy. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6220.jpeg
    IMG_6220.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6194.jpeg
    IMG_6194.jpeg
    706.9 KB · Views: 33

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
need some advice. Have an 8 inch claro walnut bowl I rough turned which has a defect. I can turn it smaller, leave it as a hole, or fill/highlight with copper powder/epoxy. Thoughts?
Wild grain on that one! It looks like the defect is part of a crack system. If it were me, I would the hole with epoxy and sawdust/bark/coffee grounds, and then put a line of pewa along the crack (including one going through the middle of the epoxy repair).

Wild grain on that one! It looks like the defect is part of a crack system. If it were me, I would the hole with epoxy and sawdust/bark/coffee grounds, and then put a line of pewa along the crack (including one going through the middle of the epoxy repair).
Good idea. Then I won’t have to make it a smaller diameter and that will add interest. Thanks.

Made my first deep hollowing. Started with a very simple shape just to test out my DIY tool and to figure out how to use it (tool is about 4 1/2 ft long with an 8mm carbide cup on the end). The wood is green sycamore, and the final form is about 12" L x 4" W.

Attachments

• 20240423_151545.jpg
    20240423_151545.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240423_151535.jpg
    20240423_151535.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Vase1.jpg
    Vase1.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 32
Finish turning a swamp Kauri bowl. Will be 9.5”d x ~3.5”h when complete. A turner sent me a blank from New Zealand and challenged me to mimic a smaller bowl he made. Fun! This is quite a challenging timber to turn. It is extremely soft, very stringy, and dulls tools quickly. The reward is fairly intense chatoyancy and a rich color.

View attachment 62900

Michael

Did you get an age with that piece of Swamp Kauri.

I have one piece carbon dated at 12,000yrs waiting to be turned. I guess it can wait a bit longer!

I'm always on the lookout for butternut on my place. I have found a dead one that was too punky to turn but I'm sure there's more on my 5 acres. I found a dead tree that Picture This identified as butternut. Wrong again, Picture This. I cut it down and didn't notice any particular smell. However, it was pretty apparent it was sassafras. The sassafras bark is quite red on the inside. Anyway, to my happy surprise, it had a couple of nice crotches. Here's the first of what should be four sassafras crotch bowls. I still need to finish the bottom. You can see that the first 4-5 outer rings are pretty punky. Beyond that it is pretty solid. The other half of this crotch is deeper so perhaps I won't go live edge on that one.

IMG_20240426_084203.jpgIMG_20240426_084244.jpg

IMG_20240426_084230.jpgIMG_20240426_084148.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Michael

Did you get an age with that piece of Swamp Kauri.

I have one piece carbon dated at 12,000yrs waiting to be turned. I guess it can wait a bit longer!

Hey Neil. I got this blank from Terry Scott. He said he harvested/milled it with Gordon Pembridge around 20-25 years ago from a batch of logs in an acidic swamp. Didn’t give a date, but I’m assuming it’s x-thousands of years old. Has that same dark brown patina. It may be my imagination, but it seems like there is dirt embedded deep into the wood. Tools dull quickly and the fine shavings disintegrate when rubbed. Pretty wild. Here is a pic of them harvesting the log way back when:

F503AAEC-AA86-4CCA-82B7-0B5447A9FA4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Neil. I got this blank from Terry Scott. He said he harvested/milled it with Gordon Pembridge around 20-25 years ago from a batch of logs in an acidic swamp. Didn’t give a date, but I’m assuming it’s x-thousands of years old. Has that same dark brown patina. It may be my imagination, but it seems like there is dirt embedded deep into the wood. Tools dull quickly and the fine shavings disintegrate when rubbed. Pretty wild. Here is a pic of them harvesting the log way back when:

View attachment 62980

Michael

Some of those Kauri were already up to 2,000 yrs old before they were submerged in the swamp and going by the size of that root ball in the photo, that tree was a big one if not also already old when it went down.

So, regardless of how long it was buried, it is a very special piece of wood you have there Michael.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I normally pass up on bowl blanks this small, but this 5 1/2" two-tone Bubinga was too hard to resist! :)
The chatoyance in the sapwood was something that wasn't apparent, until after it was sanded.

-o-

20240427_235430.jpg 20240427_235503.jpg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Michael

Some of those Kauri were already up to 2,000 yrs old before they were submerged in the swamp and going by the size of that root ball in the photo, that tree was a big one if not also already old when it went down.

So, regardless of how long it was buried, it is a very special piece of wood you have there Michael.
That’s amazing, thanks for the info. They’re real giants of the old and new. The growth rings are pretty tight on my bowl, and the root ball is huge. I bet you’re right that it was ancient before it even made it to the swamp. It’s something that is almost unfathomable. Here’s the current state of affairs (as of late last night). Have done a bit of preliminary sanding, but not too much. A fair number of thin cracks, but given how special the wood is, I’m taking the time to reinforce with a bunch of pewa.

FB90BAD8-394B-4887-97AA-81CF5562ED07.jpeg

Spalted Oak. 9x4. Wet with DO.
View attachment 63001
I am left wondering what exactly that coloration comes from. I would not guess spalting first off. I have seen this type of pattern in a number of trees, and they are all in the process of dying. The coloration does not follow the growth rings. Maybe it is spalting and dying. Not sure... Anyone know for sure?

robo hippy

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I am left wondering what exactly that coloration comes from. I would not guess spalting first off. I have seen this type of pattern in a number of trees, and they are all in the process of dying. The coloration does not follow the growth rings. Maybe it is spalting and dying. Not sure... Anyone know for sure?

robo hippy
I'm inclined to agree with Reed. I don't think it's spalting, but rather something similar to olive Ash. Spalting in Oak almost always occurs in the sapwood, outside-in. If present in the heartwood, the sapwood is usually too far gone. Mike's sapwood is pretty clean, but the heartwood (and the heart/sap border) contains the color.

I've read that the color pattern, at least in olive Ash, comes from a non-harmful bacterial infection. You have a pretty special piece of timber there, Mike. Cool!

Back