• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walnut Turning

Just finished 85% to 90% on a walnut bowl. The first piece I got in the club raffel. You know where you buy tickets and get a chance at a piece of wood a club member brings. The piece was very hard for a n 00 b like myself. The grain ran in all dirctions thus cutting beautifully one way and terrible the other. No I can't post pictures yet--the wife is taking flower pictures. I get something on as soon as I get the finish done. Yep, it was the tube lathe. Hate the adjustment screws and not quick release. Thanks to all the local club members who(m) mentored me to get to this point. Anyone in the Sacramento area, I would love to get a club newsletter. Or within that distance from Ukiah.

Loberg,
Just for info - there is a woodturning club in Ukiah - Redwood Empire Woodturners (I believe that is the name). Check the phone book for Dave Peck or Neal Elmer. Small club. The meet once a month in a members shop I believe. I do not think they have a newsletter but I may be wrong on that. If you can not find them - send me an e-mail and I will try to get you in touch. There is also a woodturning club in Santa Rosa - Wine Country Woodturners - we meet once a month at Woodcraft - 3rd Tues of the month at 7 PM. Feel free to come on by. Wine Country Woodturners has a web site - winecountrywoodturners.org - I think that is it. It is listed on the AAW web site. The Sacramento group is NorCal Woodturners and they do put out a newsletter once a month. They meet on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 27th and "I" Street - 7 PM.

Good luck.
Hugh

Yep. Joined the RETs. I would like a newsletter because my wife judges flower shows and if there is something going on I would like to go with her. Also, will be looking for a used lathe soon. (See post on Craftsman lathe). Thanks.

Back