• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Video for "Simple Jigs for Setting Angles with the Oneway Wolverine"

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Went to save the video to Watch Later and received an error message. "This action turned off for content made for kids."

Assuming this is not something you want, there may be an odd setting on your account.

Video worked fine for me (just finished watching). Using MS Edge on a surface Pro.

@Paul Ruud Thanks--your video really helped me follow what you were saying in your written posts. Really not as complex as i was making it as i read!!
Earl, thanks for responding. And I’m really pleased to hear that the video gets the (not so complex) point across. That’s what I was aiming for. 👍

Last edited:
@Bill T Tucker you are most welcome. Thank you for dropping a note. It's nice to get feedback.

@Lance Mirrer Excellent, on both counts. I appreciate your help sorting out the YT thing. I've made lots of other mistakes, but they aren't so obvious. At least, I hope not. 😁

@Will Armstrong, cheers for the appreciation. Especially of my thumb. After many filming takes, I just went with it. I literally laughed out loud when I saw your comment. 🤣

An interesting approach. Thanks for the video. I think the clamp is good for your implementation but also a little clunky. Your method may be a good jump point for improvement ideas but the base design is very good.

The last comments you made probably touched on my initial thoughts of how things were going to change for different thickness gouges. And the question of where the angle is measured from. I think at the cutting edge would be best. But as we all know it’s a concave grind so we are probably splitting hairs if measuring a line tangent to the grind at the cutting edge. Maybe an insignificant amount, I might draw it up to see

Thank you for the great post!

Last edited:
An interesting approach. Thanks for the video. I think the clamp is good for your implementation but also a little clunky. Your method may be a good jump point for improvement ideas but the base design is very good.

The last comments you made probably touched on my initial thoughts of how things were going to change for different thickness gouges. And the question of where the angle is measured from. I think at the cutting edge would be best. But as we all know it’s a concave grind so we are probably splitting hairs if measuring a line tangent to the grind at the cutting edge. Maybe an insignificant amount, I might draw it up to see

Thank you for the great post!
Thanks, Scott! I agree with everything you say. Using the clamp for the Veri-Grind jig application is awkward and it would be nice to address that.

And thanks for bringing up different gouge thicknesses. Every different thickness technically requires a different jig/gauge. They are easy to make but who wants "a gauge for every gouge?" I use 1/2" and 5/8" gouges and all from the same manufacturer so not a big deal. But others? Then again, this is an issue for every fixed setup jig/gauge.

You can use the formula to see how sensitive the angle is to where the angle is measured from. I think a lot of turners will consider the differences ignorable. Still, many of us will want to understand the consequences of different locations. I didn't go into that to keep the video focussed. If you have further thoughts, please share!

Last edited:
Without giving this much thought (none really!) ... would magnets work?
That is a really cool idea! It keeps everything really simple. Otherwise it seems like a clamp would have to be made part of the jig, that way you wouldn't be juggling two things (the clamp and the jig).

I'm going to go try this.

Without giving this much thought (none really!) ... would magnets work?
I'm happy with this. I just hot-glued two magnets into the jig where it sits on the gouge and it worked very well. I think it might be good to add more to the back of the jig where the Veri-Grind jig gives a square reference. Thank you, @Tom Gall, that is a sweet solution!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I'm happy with this. I just hot-glued two magnets into the jig where it sits on the gouge and it worked very well. I think it might be good to add more to the back of the jig where the Veri-Grind jig gives a square reference. Thank you, @Tom Gall, that is a sweet solution!
Glad it works. I'm sure you will work on it further to meet all your expectations. Pictures are always nice. :)

Back