• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vicmarc Owners! Jaw Question??

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Looking to get a largers set of jaws for my 5.5" vicmarc to do larger bowls/projects. Craftsupply has three types:
Standard dovetail
multi purpose
step jaws

My thoughts:
The step jaw does not appear to have as large of dovetails for holding and the step is only good for compression. In compression mount the smaller the diameter, the longer the tenon would have to be and it seems the jaws would interfere with the work.

The multi purpose seems to have the similar issues. in the larger compression mount the tenon would have to be hollow to allow clearance for the smaller jaw. When using the smaller part in expansion mount you would be limited in tenon thickness by the larger jaw.

Seems the standard 5.5" jaw is the best choice. Standard chuck comes with 2.5" jaw and i have the pin jaw already. With these three jaws, I should cover any range I need. The only advantage to the multi purpose and the step jaws is the convenience of not having to change jaws a lot. Seems the negatives of the jaws outweigh the positives.

Am I missing something? Anyone have these that can offer his or her thoughts?

Jaws the return

I have the 5" dovetail and the 1 7/8" shark jaws for my larger things. I really like shark jaws when you need a really solid hold on something and still have access to the rear of the piece.

Website
www.abhats.com
Jaws

I've the large Vicmarc, but bought it for the great bowl jaws (14" specifically) they have. When I began turning I picked up a Super Nova and then just about every jaw set they had. I've three Novas now along with the Vicmarc and almost always use one set of jaws on each (sort of a standard, large and huge set). I'll sometimes change one but not that often. Most of the others sit on a shelf gathering dust.

Back