• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Versaflo TR 300N

For over 20 years I used the Airmate 3 system. Then 3M discontinued making it and all the replacement parts became very expensive. I decided to get the Versaflo system. The price 2 years ago was sky high due to the Pandemic. For the complete setup they (3M and private sellers) wanted $2500 to $3000. A friend suggested I try E-Bay. The prices were the same. I noticed that some of the adds listed a price and that said " or best offer". I watched as the prices dropped when everyone thought we were over Covid. I offered on about a dozen adds over a years time and all were rejected. Patience is a must. Finally I saw an add that wanted $999. I offered $600 and it was accepted. This was a new unit, not pre-owned. E-Bay guarantees the purchases to be as advertised. The unit came and it was perfect. I sold my Airmate 3 setup. My net cost was $300. It may be a while for the prices to drop again, but they will. Give it a try.

Thanks for sharing the suggestions, Paul. I was talking to a friend who is in hospital procurement about used options. She suggested to be sure the kit comes with a battery charger. Evidently, hospitals can buy the respirators without chargers since they are used so frequently.

The pricing is all over the place. I took a look on Amazon and see what you mean by being patient.

Attachments

• versaflow300N-price-changes.jpg
    versaflow300N-price-changes.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 14
IMO, all of the PAP face shields/hoods are way overpriced. They have been built for high risk PP situations where the price is not as important compared to the risks, so enterprises with an eye to their legal obligations under OHS just cough up.

I do have a 3M Versaflo 300 with battery and filter on the belt, but I rarely use it, preferring the tethered rig that I put together. I got my Versaflo at a very substantial discount at the end of the last mining boom crash here in Australia, and, although a very good unit, I couldn't recommend it at the absurd price they now ask for that unless I was spending someone else's money... :~}

As I'm either at the lathe or the bandsaw I don't need to have the same portability of an all-in-one PAP face shield/hood that some may need in their workshops. So, I made my own tethered PAP with an impact rated face shield/hood. I still use a version of that. Its major advantage is its very large HEPA filter size (because that component isn't worn on the body) and the separation of the filter fan from the hood makes it very quiet to use. The other advantage is cost.... it is way cheaper (with better filtration) than any of the all-in-one options on the market.

The downside of a tethered system is the distance you can move when using it. I got used to that a very long time ago and find that disadvantage is outweighed by its advantages.

There is a real need for an all-on-body PAP shield/hood for the woodturner that is at a reasonable price to replace the old Triton Respirator. There is a very nice business opportunity waiting for an inventive and enterprising person. After all its just one of these plus a portable rechargeable air purifier like one of these consumer units with a good HEPA filter in it hooked to a belt and connected with a hose. It might even be turned into an all-in-one to be worn on the head...

Mask plus HEPA filter fan sideways.jpg

If for whatever reason those consumer air purifier units aren't up to the task, the other option would be to build a PAP unit from computer DC fan, consumer rechargeable batteries and HEPA filter of whatever shape is required, which are all very low cost component parts other than the HEPA filter, but you wouldn't want to scrimp on that key component.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Another option too that I have mentioned before is the Peke Safety Powercap. It is about $500 and I love mine. Lightweight and easy to manage and charge. All replacement parts are available online.

Back