• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vector Jig for Spindle Gouge?

A question for users of the Vector grinding jig (Hannes Tools). Have you ever used the jig on a spindle gouge? If so, how did that work out? How did you set it up?

There are 3 places in the center of the Vector platform for the grinding jig to pivot in. All you would have to do is adjust the platform in or out to match the bevel on your spindle gouge, and it would be the same as using the wolverine jig, I should say almost the same, because the jig that comes with the vector has a fixed angle. You can however use the wolverine jig on the vector platform. To grind bowl gouges using the vector, you could do the exact same thing. To put the "hat grind" on one, you use the outside most holes for the cutting edge, the center pivots are for the relief bevels. I use the wolverine and the vector, depending on what I am doing.

"the jig that comes with the vector has a fixed angle."

Yes, that's the issue. One can mount a spindle gouge onto the Vector, but the fixed leg angle is more acute than would be desirable for a spindle gouge and will create longer wings.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'd say yes. I grind using the wolverine jig and grind my spindle gouges in the same jig I simply put a spacer in the V arm to move the tool up the stone to give me a more acute edge. In the vector jig you could simply use the center hole to do the grind. Dont use the outer holes.

Website
jpseyfried.com
I use the Vector grind fixture for spindle gouges. I experimented with how far the gouge projects in the “steel hold fixture”. When I got the angle I wanted I adjusted and made a mark on the stop plate (3/8"). I think I used a sharpie on the gouge tip and tried to match the existing angle. I keep the pivot plate in the same position as for bowl gouges and use it the same as I do for the bowl gouge. I initially set it up for the pictured detail gouge, but also use it for a standard spindle gouge. It works for me, but then maybe I just don’t know any better.

IMG_2564.jpg

Mark I would expect that it would perform exactly as it did before using the Vector as he matched the grind that was on it. That is what I did too.

"the jig that comes with the vector has a fixed angle."

Yes, that's the issue. One can mount a spindle gouge onto the Vector, but the fixed leg angle is more acute than would be desirable for a spindle gouge and will create longer wings.
I don’t disagree that the leg angle does affect the grind, but the operator has a lot of control. Wing length is controlled by the amount of side swing of the jig and amount of material, ie grind time, spent in an area. I use a different jig (tormek svd-186, provides a very similar grind), and can grind sg’s at the same “leg angle” as a swept back grind, but get a sg finger nail grind.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I learned a quick easy way to sharpen spindle gouges in a class with David Ellsworth about 30 years ago.
It’s worth learning if you do much spindle work
4689AA75-CD77-47C8-A3DF-2FB2F53B7AB9.gif

For extra credit we learned to sharpen the spindle gouge without the platform by resting the hand holding the handle on the top of the thigh sort of like the pocket on the Wolverine but safer.

Last edited:
Back