• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vacuum Adapter Installation trouble 3520A

I am attempting to install Oneway's Vacuum adapter on a Powermatic 3520A. First is to remove the hand wheel on the outboard side of the head stock. At first glance the handwheel appeared to be threaded on. A call to Powermatic Tech Support was not useful. The guy finally found out that the thread was a right hand thread. Started removal with a over sized set of channel lock pliers. I now appears that the handwheel is a pressed fit to the spindle and it does not want to move more than a quarter of a inch toward coming off. Once again Powermatic Tech Support is at a loss to advise.

So - How do I get the handwheel off without tearing something up? And then how to I get Oneway's vacuum adaptor to go on to allow for easy removal at a later time?

Thanks for the help

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Mort,

I have used a Oneway vacuum on powermatics in Demos.

The handwheel on the powermatic is not threaded and
Oneway has an insert that fits the shaft.

It is a straight shaft and the handwheel has a set screw (maybe two) to hold in place.
Removing the handwheel for the first time can be a chore.
You may need to get a gear puller to remove the handwheel

Have friend hold in the spindle lock. Try pulling the handwheel and turning side to side slightly as you pull. Spraying with WD40 or liquid wrench may help.

Happy Turning,
Al

Last edited:
My 3520A is about 3-4 yrs old. It has two set screws holding the hand wheel to the spindle. The threaded portion of the spindle does not carry into the the handwheel bore. The keyway slot, which you can see, does. One of the set screws locks down in that slot and the other is to the right of it if you are viewing the lathe from the motor end. If you where to force the hand wheel on my machine to rotate with out loosening the screws considerably you would damage the shaft. Hopefully this is not the case on your machine. Removing the screws completely and putting penetrating oil in the holes is what was necessary to remove my hand wheel. It was not rusted or corroded but had not been cleaned very well at the factory. Good luck, and let us know how you make out with your machine.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jake's got it right. The handwheel isn't threaded. Loosen the set screws a good amount and then pull the handwheel off. I'm not familiar with the Oneway adaptor. I used to use the EZ vacuum adaptor which doesn't require removing the handwheel. Then I had my handwheel turned to accept a bearing vacuum adaptor that I built. I have plans for both the EZ adaptor and the bearing adaptor. If anyone wants it send an e-mail to johnclucas@charter.net

I had made a vacuum adaptor for my Grizzly lathe. When I graduated to the 3520B, I needed to convert.

I discovered that the male quick disconnect that I use on my garden hoses fits quite nicely into the outboard side of the headstock, and with an O-ring seal to boot. I polished up the inside of the headstock thru hole, made an adapter for the sealed ball bearing epoxied in a small block of acrylic, and I was in business.

Bob

Thanks for the pointers. I did have the presence of mind to remove the set screws before try to remove the hand wheel and apply WD-40. Have had to stand down on getting the wheel off as our grand daughter arrived for a visit. Will mess with the thing in a few days.

Back