• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Use Your Commemorative Gouge ?

OK, it's probably heretical blasphemy but I used one of my AAW 20th Anniversary gouges last night. :eek: Straight out of the package it cut some very hard wood like a dream. I was finally able to get a matching set of these gouges due to an unexpected bonus at work (they have NEVER done this before!). These are very nice tools to say the least. My only dislike is the handles are a little small in diameter for me and kind of light. The bar is long and heavy in the 1/2" tool and is a bit unbalanced.

Sooooo, anybody else use their commemorative gouges?

They still have some left. I got set #237 out of 500.

The tools I've seen out of the box needed sharpening. I also understood that these tools should be put behind glass and only used in case of emergency......

Commemorative Gouges

I purchased a set at last year's symposium and I've used the 1/2" four or five times and really like it. I think I am like most turners though and have a few old favorites that I tend to grab for first.

Don
I hope you used the brand new tool on your brand new lathe
:)

Enjoy them both!

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Tools

Yep, use mine alla time. Although I shan't be using the 3/8" gouge any more as Bob Rosand picked it up at the Yankee Symposium Raffle.

So now I'm down to just the 1/2" gouge. I had to sharpen mine when I rec'd it. Now it is one of my favorite tools for a fine finishing cut.

A

Back