• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for September 20, 2021

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My selection for this week is “Swirl” by Tom Lohman. This is a masterful piece with great design, good form, tasteful coloring, and exquisite workmanship and joinery. I’m not usually a segmented enthusiast (mostly because I don’t have the patience required – however, I do appreciate all the work involved), but this piece knocked my socks off!

Most segmented work has an overload of ‘in-your-face’ patterns and colors. Tom’s subtle use of color on the double swirling “feature rings” is a welcomed departure from the norm in my opinion, and the hexagonal patterns are artistically carried through to the base on the interior and exterior (you may have to enlarge the photo to appreciate this). Exceptionally well done, sir!

This is such an incredible segmented piece, it deserves this second look. Tom Lohman is really the originator of these high count segmented pieces, he is the creator of a fabulous jig that allows expert patterns like this to be created and he has the vision to create pieces like this! Bravo Tom, you truly are the Maestro!!

Website
www.segmentedturning.org
My selection for this week is “Swirl” by Tom Lohman. This is a masterful piece with great design, good form, tasteful coloring, and exquisite workmanship and joinery. I’m not usually a segmented enthusiast (mostly because I don’t have the patience required – however, I do appreciate all the work involved), but this piece knocked my socks off!

Most segmented work has an overload of ‘in-your-face’ patterns and colors. Tom’s subtle use of color on the double swirling “feature rings” is a welcomed departure from the norm in my opinion, and the hexagonal patterns are artistically carried through to the base on the interior and exterior (you may have to enlarge the photo to appreciate this). Exceptionally well done, sir!

Thanks, it is a honor!

Back