• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for July 18, 2022

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
My selection for the turning of the week beginning July 18, 2022, is "Masur Birch Lidded Box" by Gabriel Hoff. This beautifully executed lidded box met all of my criteria to be selected for this week's featured turning. The design is simple, yet elegant. The workmanship is excellent and above all, the beauty of the Masur Birch wood stands out as the principal feature of the box. I am a believer that when you have beautiful wood, the turning should be done in a way to highlight the beauty of the wood. Gabriel did a superb job with his lidded box highlighting the beauty of the Masur Birch and all of its grain and color complexity. It is for these reasons that I have selected Masur Birch Lidded Box to be the TOTW for the week of July 18, 2022.

Masur Birch Lidded Box.JPG

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Nothing like the shimmering effect of Masur Birch. I've always fount it difficult to source in sizes for turning.
I really like the bead on the lid to complement the bead on the joint. Congratulations on your first TOTW, Gabriel.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
That is one really sweet box! Darn it Brian, I had my eye on that one for my TOTW selection. I should have known you would beat me to it. Congratulations, Gabriel. That’s a stunnIng box.

Back