• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the week for February 26, 2024

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This outstanding Eastern Red Cedar Bowl by @David Wyke is my choice for this week's turning of the week. When Mother Nature's contributions are this good, it's best to let them be the focus of the turning, and David did a great job of highlighting them.

full

This outstanding Eastern Red Cedar Bowl by @David Wyke is my choice for this week's turning of the week. When Mother Nature's contributions are this good, it's best to let them be the focus of the turning, and David did a great job of highlighting them.

full
Thank you Odie! This was a fun piece to turn and was able to get several out of the log.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Nice choice, Odie. Congrats on the feature, David! ERC can be somewhat temperamental. You did a great job wrangling it with this fantastic bowl. Looking forward to seeing some of the others from the same log. Cheers!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
How does the turning of the week work?

Just to expand on what Brian said, each week’s featured turning is selected by one specific team member. The turning is also featured via the Facebook/Instagram AAW page, as well as in the email newsletter, for the general public and/or AAW members to see. Each team member has their own personal criteria, but all make solid, well-justified decisions. It is usually a very challenging decision to choose a featured turning, as there are so many worthy candidates. And, generally you can only be chosen for a the Turning of the Week once every three months.

Just to expand on what Brian said, each week’s featured turning is selected by one specific team member. The turning is also featured via the Facebook/Instagram AAW page, as well as in the email newsletter, for the general public and/or AAW members to see. Each team member has their own personal criteria, but all make solid, well-justified decisions. It is usually a very challenging decision to choose a featured turning, as there are so many worthy candidates. And, generally you can only be chosen for a the Turning of the Week once every three months.
Thank you

Nice choice, Odie. Congrats on the feature, David! ERC can be somewhat temperamental. You did a great job wrangling it with this fantastic bowl. Looking forward to seeing some of the others from the same log. Cheers!
Thank you Michael! ERC is brittle when you get to thin so sharp tool, easy touch, and a little luck helps :)
Here is a couple of the others

Attachments

• IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1121.jpeg
    IMG_1121.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1120.jpeg
    IMG_1120.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 14

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Congratulations on your first TOTW, David. Very nice! Love the look of the undulating natural edge forms of ERC ... always so different. Be sure to wear PAPR when turning the stuff.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thank you, and I always wear PAPR, dust is not good.
Good to hear. A member of our club turned ERC almost exclusively for as long as I had known him, and I believe he only wore paper face masks (not positive about that). One day he came to a meeting trying to sell a lot of his tools. He recently found out he had Stage 4 lung cancer - he only lasted 2-3 weeks after that. Not sure about the correlation with ERC dust (all dust is bad), but ......?

Good to hear. A member of our club turned ERC almost exclusively for as long as I had known him, and I believe he only wore paper face masks (not positive about that). One day he came to a meeting trying to sell a lot of his tools. He recently found out he had Stage 4 lung cancer - he only lasted 2-3 weeks after that. Not sure about the correlation with ERC dust (all dust is bad), but ......?
I usually put on the 3M face mask and looking to get the 3M ventilator, saving up for it now. Summer time I have the mask on, door raised and two fans blowing the dust away from me and out the door :)

Back