• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning grapevine?

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I know I saw a post somewhere recently about turning grapevine, but the search engine fails to come up with it. I didn't pay much attention to it because I never thought I'd see a grapevine large enough to turn. This weekend we had to take one out of a fence row to clear a site for a building. The diameter is about 6". What a shame! I hate taking something out that unusual. That's not a typo, I mean 6". I saved several feet of it. I wouldn't believe it if I had not seen it so I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I have never seen a grapevine that large in my life.

Anyone know if it's worthwhile for turning? I remember smoking it when I was a kid. I expected the center to be hollow, but it's not. I guess only the smaller vines are hollow.

I apologize if this is a redundant question, and I think it is, but I can't find the earlier info.

Try Google for a more comprehensive search. [woodturning grapevine] provides a heap of hits, mostly of the nature of "heard it on the grapevine" or events/enterprises in Grapevine TX, but a few actually related to the subject. [woodturning grape] also gives a few relevant. The consensus seems to be that it's worthwhile. You may have seen the post on another forum/website. If you have "several feet" of it, why not just turn a small lump, even if only for practice, and please report your results here. Your results will also wind up on Google sooner or later.

Joe

One of the student turners at Roseburg High (Oregon) turned a small vase out of it. Nice colors, not really hard, some checking. Go for it. From what I saw, it would make excellent nautral edge, and even end grain open or closed forms.
robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've only turned some Wisteria which is a vine but not a grapevine. It moved a whole lot from green to dry. This was quite large and I roughed out the bowl. It warped so much I can't put it back on the lathe.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Preliminary Update

I had a few minutes this afternoon and I turned a small piece of the grapevine. I'm not very impressed. It was almost white except for the center/pith which was brown (but quite solid, by the way). Pretty boring!

However, before I left the shop it started drying fast and the texture of the wood seemed to be changing; starting to show a matrix pattern similar to some sycamore I've turned... or elm. It was pretty amazing how fast it was drying and changing appearance. I turned a brandy snifter which happen to be one of the nicest shapes I've turned. What a shame; it'll probably be twisted and split in a few days. We'll see.

I'll try to get some pictures of this stuff later... has a bad busy streak last few days.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Chuck, don't give up. It might be worth a try to use Dave Smith's denatured alcohol drying regime.

That piece looks pretty thick. You might want to try again and get it down to a much thinner finished product.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Maybe don't use the whole diameter? I turned these goblets from a grapevine but they're from a smaller branch, about 1 1/2" dia. I'm guessing. The warp is not offensive, it's not like I'd use them for wine! :p

I didn't bother to fine tune the design because I was just playing.

Attachments

• grapevine_cups.jpg
    grapevine_cups.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 152
Back