• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning blank storage

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
How do you store your turning stock? My ever growing stash is currently scattered all over the shop, mostly just stacked in unruly piles separated with wooden stickers. Of course this means that the driest stuff is always on the bottom and retrieving it requires moving everything off the top, then restacking the mess. This has gotten old and I'm ready to build something more permanent and flexible.

I've checked all the "shop shots" people have posted to the forum but couldn't find any examples of turning blank storage.

C'mon folks, how do you store all that wood you've painstakingly chainsawed and bandsawed into circles, squares and rectangles?

Website
www.velvitoil.com
If I know it will be around a long time or if I plan on selling it, I seal the ends at least twice and put one coat of sealer on the other 4 sides. It is stickered in an old horse stall.

For my immediate use I seal the ends and pile it on my shop floor. I rough turn as soon as possible. I also don't cut it up right away if I don't think I can get to it. I leave in log form, store in cool spot and seal the ends.

pencheff said:
I've checked all the "shop shots" people have posted to the forum but couldn't find any examples of turning blank storage.

C'mon folks, how do you store all that wood you've painstakingly chainsawed and bandsawed into circles, squares and rectangles?

I store mine as turned pieces, because it's much easier to dry them that way. At first they're underfoot, basically because once I get on a roughing jag I just stack them until they're showing signs that they're surface drying. Then I throw them onto racks to final dry. Used to put dates on them, but now I go by degree of distortion augmented by a 3-4 day weight check.

Attachments

• One-Down-One-To-Go.jpg
    One-Down-One-To-Go.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24
Go to the big box home improvement store of your choice. the all sell nice plastic stackable shelving units. the 5 rack one costs just over $30. Blanks I want off the shop floor or are just really nice go in the racks. everything else is scattered all over the shop.

Some is in the shop, but most of it is in my equipment shed. Logs are end sealed and on the floor. Blanks are stored on drying shelves across the back of the shed. The blanks are end sealed and the larger ones are side sealed as well.

p.s. The shelves cover the entire wall, 30' wide by 8' tall. That's only the central portion in the picture. :cool2:

Attachments

• Drying Shelves.jpg
    Drying Shelves.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Website
www.abhats.com
Work or play

All these custom shelves!!! Looks like a lot of time and effort into making them. I just picked up six units of the plastic storage shelves Home Depot and Lowes sells when they had a sale on. Everything stacks nicely and they're ventilated.

Dang Brian, looks like your stock is running a bit low on those upper middle shelves. :D

Nice supply indeed.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Awefully clean too.

I too slather the ends and sometimes the entire piece with anchoseal. I kkep them all on wire stoarge bakers racks in a shed. The wire shelves are also on wheels so I can stack them two deep when need be.

I'll confess...

That wood storage picture was taken about a month after I re-organized it to make room for the next batch.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
pencheff said:
How do you store your turning stock? My ever growing stash is currently scattered all over the shop, mostly just stacked in unruly piles separated with wooden stickers. Of course this means that the driest stuff is always on the bottom and retrieving it requires moving everything off the top, then restacking the mess. This has gotten old and I'm ready to build something more permanent and flexible.

I hot paraffin wax the ends of squares, the rim of rounds and the ends of vase and end grain rounds in an old electric frying pan...
Then I use banana boxes to store the blanks (kind of like putting them in brown paper bags). The double sides on the boxes make them ideal for stacking. I can stack them 5 to 6 boxes high (and I do, when I'm getting ready to do a turning symposium). Writing on the outside what's inside makes stuff easy to find and moving a box full at a time is a little heavy but very manageable. Bigger blanks get stickered and stacked in a corner, burl and bark edge stuff goes under a couple of my work benches.
The whole pile is probably 1500 to 3000 pieces, and I'm not that fast a turner, so I lose a piece or two from time to time, but I'm really happy with the process.
Apple boxes will also stack and can take a slightly larger round. :D

Back