• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

trip to provo utah

Am lucky enough to be taking the glen lucas class in Provo in july.
Wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions on free wood yards where i can fill my truck with some nice chunks of box elder or other woods I cant get in colorado?

debating on driving vs. flying. if i can find some wood to bring home i can drive and take my own tools.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Hi Allen!

For me, it would be a no-brainer - it's just an 8 hour drive (490 miles) and passes through some really beautiful parts of your state. The convenience of having a car there for short local trips in and around Provo, ability to bring your own tools to the class, and having complete travel schedule flexibility wouldn't even make me think twice about flying. You also have the option of buying tools at a discount at Craft Supplies while you're a student there (if that program's still going on???) and all of your new toys and supplies come home WITH YOU - no shipping costs. I suspect there may also be a few sources of local wood available - it may be more productive (and efficient) to contact woodturning club officers in Utah (see the clubs listing in the members area) and ask their advice on where to find sources of wood while you are there. Who knows, you might find some fellow turners who will help you source, cut, and load the wood - woodturners, in general, are very helpful, friendly people!

I like driving (especially solo, except for my ham radio which accompanies me during long, cross-country drives) and in recent years have become MUCH less enthusiastic about flying, annoyed at all of the extra baggage costs tacked on now, dealing with airports, etc. so I may be quite biased, but I think in the right direction! Fuel costs, even as high as they are now, would likely be less than the cheapest airfare.

Turn (and drive) safely!

Rob

Last edited:
Definitely drive, you won't save that much time if you count the time you have to check in at the airport, security, etc. You have more flexibility with buying stuff at the show and taking it with you. Ship it or check it with the airline- it might disappear! As to getting wood, take a chainsaw with you. Stop at any nice tree and help yourself!:D OK, check with local chapters for assistance and advice as to sawmills, retailers, etc. :p

while hunting wood you might want to visit some national parks

just got back from Provo (craft supplies super wed)
Orem - Utah Woodturning Symposium - 34th

Canyonlands National Park---Moab

Attachments

• canyonlands vistor centera2a.JPG
    canyonlands vistor centera2a.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 34
  • canyonlands vistor center.JPG
    canyonlands vistor center.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 34
  • flowers in bloom.JPG
    flowers in bloom.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 35
  • green river overlook.JPG
    green river overlook.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
  • La Sal Mtns in distance.JPG
    La Sal Mtns in distance.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 31
provo

We drove to the Utah Symposium from Central Washington last week- 2 days going down but straight through on the way back. Check Craigslist under MATERIALS for wood. Possibly some locals will respond to this message with ideas about wood. What the others said about your own vehicle? - ditto. Every time I am forced to fly somewhere these days first thing I do when I get home is go kiss my truck..........

Back