• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trial of a new material for pen and pencils

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
I need your opinion on that synthetic acrylic material created for pen turnings. As many ask for new aspects I have made several samples and that is the first of series of trial.
The model used for the pen is “Europeâ€.
I would appreciate very much if you could tell me if:
- you like it a lot
- you like it
- you are indifferent
-you don’t like it at all

Many thanks again and have a nice sunday
http://www.la-truciolara.com/forum/Stylosinthe001.htm

Personally, I would have to say that I am indifferent to that particular blank. The colors are muted and the straight line pattern of the colors isn't very exciting.

Acrylic and resin blanks are very poplular for pens right now. Colorful, high contrast, complex patterened blanks make particularly striking pens that sell rapidly. Try something a little more adventurous for your next pen.

Ed

Well, I like it very much. In my professional life, flashy pens (with a lot of ornamentation) were not impressive. This pen has all the elements of sophistication that are more likely to subtly impress a client. Sometimes it's better to offer subtlety than shock value - elegance instead of showiness.
Nice piece of work.....

Wright on the money

Well, I like it very much. In my professional life, flashy pens (with a lot of ornamentation) were not impressive. This pen has all the elements of sophistication that are more likely to subtly impress a client. Sometimes it's better to offer subtlety than shock value - elegance instead of showiness.
Nice piece of work.....

I agree 100% In my "life" the gold Cross slim line pen & Pencil were the way to go. But remember, everyone have different taste, and you can't please everyone all the time. :D

Cheers

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Thank you for your comments which are quite useful for me.
I expected contrasts in the comments, and I got them. That seems to be a perfect (though yet insufficient for statistical value) image of the market.
Thanks again and I do hope many more will comment on the subject.
I'm now trying to produce mother pearl.
When it's done, I'll show it to you.
Thanks again

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
I do know you prefer to turn wood, and so do I. However, as the market ask for acrylics as well, and that often we find some quite flashy I was thinking to the potential customers who might prefer something more “conventionalâ€.
Here is another material.
For the top pen I used the entire “satin pearl†Kit, while for the lower one I tuned the top end with the same material.
Could I know your impressions.
Many thanks in advance and I apologise to bore you with acrylics but your views are quite important to me.
http://www.la-truciolara.com/FORUM/Stylosinthe002.htm

Claude, I don't find these to be as interesting as the first one. These two are, IMHO, somewhat depressing; utilitarian indeed but not something I'd select from any group of similar items.

mother of pearl

anybody got any mother of pearl large enough for a to be chucked to make a timble????

Pen kits

Ignore Mr. Don's very progress view of woodturning.

After looking several times I think what doesn't work for me is the kit you have chosen in each instance. I think a bigger kit would work very well.

Keep 'em coming.:)

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Thank you Angelo for your comments.
We might have to try another production technique.
These where cylindrical bars.
We are now testing, always in the lab, plaques that we then be in a position to cut in diagonal.
Imagine you have a liquid with several colours, liquid as well. It's not really evident how to make them go at an angle, especially on a diameter of i inch for a length of five feet. That’s why we are moving to inventing the "plaque process".
If we succeed, I’ll show you the results.
In the mean time I look forward to getting out of the "kitchen" to move back to the lathe. :)

Back