• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Translucent woods ( not only norfolk pine)

Website
www.machineartist.com
? Does anyone know of other woods that have translucency?
I am presently working on piercing and carving a turned lampshade made of Hackberry it is approx 1/8th thin and is translucent in many places . It was never soaked in anything (only preliminarily rubbed a little with lemon oil) and has been in my shed for about 4 years before turning it. Anyway I am interested to know of possible other woods.
Many thanks from Jeff.

aspen would be another, grain runs both ways:D

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Birch, soft maple... From what I understand, virtually any light to white wood will go translucent, Hannes Michelsen turns all kinds of green wood hats and uses light to help insure his thinness is even.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Include Monkey Puzzle in the list. It looks very similar to Norfolk Island Pine.
Roger Dunn

"Monkey Puzzle" tree is in the same genus as Norfolk Island Pine, Auaucaria:

Monkey Puzzle is Araucaria araucana
Norfolk Island Pine is Araucaria heterophylla

Since these species are closely related, their wood characteristics are also similar.

Cheers,

(Prof.) Rob Wallace
[professional botanical nerd])
Iowa State University

Monkey puzzle and NIP

Who knew? Obviously you did Rob. Thanks. I took one Dendrology class about 1,000 years ago and this fact didn't stick. Thanks for smartening me up.

Back