• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Toothpick Holder

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Found this idea in March issue of Wood magazine. May be an old item for some of you old-timers, but my wife thought it was neat so I had to try one. Made from dogwood and walnut. Lots of dogwood on our farm. We love them and never take one out, but this one died. I'm trying to use what the bugs left.

Attachments

• ToothpickDispenser 014s.JPG
    ToothpickDispenser 014s.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 449
  • ToothpickDispenser 012s.JPG
    ToothpickDispenser 012s.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 446
Very nice job Chuck, I like these a lot.

Really nice idea. Would you share dimensions, or am I on my own? I think this is a cool idea for the office lunch room. That's where I stick my turnings when I run out of flat space.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Dimensions Tonight

Had to go back to the shop for something else...

Blank 3x3x6
Widest diameter at top 2 1/8
Narrowest diameter at bottom 1 1/2
Lid 1 7/8 x 1/8 at edge
Hole diameter 1 1/4
Hole depth 3 1/4 from lid shoulder
Dowel shaft is 3 5/16 x 1/4
Basket 1/2 x 1 3/16
Basket hollow 1/4 x 1 1/16

The instructions for this little guy are 4 pages, very well written, but a bit too detailed even for beginners like me. I find it a little amusing that it's written as if for a beginner, but requires about $1,000 worth of tools minimum.

my club made this the challenge for this month.

here is a link to a 3 part video on turning it. and the guy doing the turning gives you just about all the dimensions you need.

the rest can be figured out easily.

http://woodstore.net/potodi.html

Click on - woodmagazine.com/videos - at site

IAN

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Wood Movement

This turned out to be a good demo of wood movement. The walnut used for the basket was very dry and the dogwood was sorta dry. After a couple nights the walnut took on enough moisture that it was almost impossible to get it out of the holder.

We use a little glass salt shaker as our toothpick holder. Drill out the center hole large enough for the toothpicks. Turn it over and shake it to get one.

I was thinking that idea would work well with a turned toothpick holder.

As a different approach, instead of the removable top with peg and lift bottom, have a solid top with a hole in the top. Maybe have the fill plug on the bottom?

I like this holder you made. Just thought I'd toss out another idea.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
We had a toothpick holder contest a long time ago at our club. It went over very well. I think the winning one was similar to this one only it had a stop so the top only came up so far and all the toothpicks sort of spread out.

Back