• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool ID

I picked up these two hollowing tools at an estate sale. No identification anywhere. The shafts are 9/16” and over all tool length is 25”. The tips appear to be glued in like the Trent Bosch hollowers. Hopefully not brazed in. Is the tool on the left even usable since the shaft does not have a crook neck? Is it meant to be captured in a hollowing jig?

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 62

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Those are similar to the Ellsworth hollowing tools.
They might be Ellsworth or home made copies.
Lots of folks made/ make similar tools - just drill a hole in drill rod and glue in a cutter.

They are used hand held. The 45 degree angle cutter has some torque but nothing that prevents hand hollowing.

The Ellsworth tips are put in with CA. My guess these are CA.

The red mark was added so the use cut see “up” when the tool is in use.

David’s tools were sold unhandled. Packard still sells them

IMG_0594.jpeg

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
PS I have much longer handles on my Ellsworth tools.
Short handles are fine for short forms.

I used to do a lot hollow ball ornaments. I used a tool with a 8” handle and a 6” bar 3/8” diameter 3/16 cutter at 45 degrees
Small scale version of Ellsworth. Hollows 3” diameter balls really well.

A 24” handle will be hard to for me to use on a form deeper than 6”
A 36” handle I can go 9” deep.

These sorts of tools are based on the original Oland tool as far as I can tell
Very easy to make theres a lot of vidoes on Youtube. The HSS can be silver soldered in or held by a locking screw, several well known turners make and sell their versions

Back