• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ethan Hoff for "Globe Ornament" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tired of making these but they sell great.

This is what got two guineas in a row. I had scared it off before it started eating this guinea so I threw it in the trap for bait.
At the time, I had no idea what got the guineas, I thought maybe raccoons climbing high into a tree.

View attachment 68014

A red-tailed hawk got one of my chickens - I went out to the pen and it had it's talons in the chicken's head, but the chicken was too big to life.
Another time a red-tailed hawk caught a rabbit and it was too heavy for it. It would jump an drag it across the grass a little at a time to get it away from the road, then started on supper.

I love hawks, owls, and all kind of birds. Sometimes, though, I wish they would eat at someone else's restaurant!

JKJ
I forgot about the owls. Great horned owls are killers, for sure.

Raptors can carry something half their weight, but not much bigger than that.

I love hawks and eagles and owls as well, particularly owls. I used to want to keep a hawk and hunt with her, but that's a serious committment, and I never could find someone to mentor me so I could pass the tests.
It's a huge commitment. It's not as much financially as turning, but the time commitment is huge.

I made my wife a heart bowl a couple years ago and several friends requested one. So I made a pattern and developed the process I needed to do little production runs. I make 10-15 at a time turning all the backs first. I have sold a lot of these online and at shows, always sell out. They are easy to make and when I do production run of 15 I end up having 30 minutes or less in them not including the finishing.
I made them just to draw attention at my booth and everyone that walked by had to pick one up. The problem is I don’t like making them anymore😁, it’s like production and I’m more of a one-off kind of turner.
My wife is the one who pushes me to make them, so I made 5 for the upcoming Christmas Show. Someone called that had bought one in the past and wanted one more for a friend. I met them with the 5 heart bowls for them to choose and they bought all five!
How do you get out of a funk like this!? Now I need to make a few more.
View attachment 67965

View attachment 67964

View attachment 67963
View attachment 67962
David....VERY nice and super attractive. I can easily understand there popularity. Love the dyed colors plus everything lines up really nice. You definitely got yourself a winner here.

Those bowls are fantastic! I echo the congrats on figuring it out and successfully bringing them to fruition.

I can see myself making a few of those. I have a few women in my life who would love to have one!

Thanks for sharing David.

I'd like to see that process as well. Might get me out of my funk and help me make some Christmas presents for my family. Let us know when/if you post it in the Projects forum, please!
Thanks
John

Well now that several and messaged and emailed me about the process you’ve kinda got me out of my funk and thinking about making more😁.
So I may need to rethink sharing the process!!….just kidding😂, hopefully tonight I’ll have time to post it. You’ll be amazed at how simple it is.

Back