• Congratulations to 2024 AAW Member Exhibition Common Roots forum member finalists (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ethan Hoff for "Globe Ornament" being selected as Turning of the Week for October 21, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tired of making these but they sell great.

I made my wife a heart bowl a couple years ago and several friends requested one. So I made a pattern and developed the process I needed to do little production runs. I make 10-15 at a time turning all the backs first. I have sold a lot of these online and at shows, always sell out. They are easy to make and when I do production run of 15 I end up having 30 minutes or less in them not including the finishing.
I made them just to draw attention at my booth and everyone that walked by had to pick one up. The problem is I don’t like making them anymore😁, it’s like production and I’m more of a one-off kind of turner.
My wife is the one who pushes me to make them, so I made 5 for the upcoming Christmas Show. Someone called that had bought one in the past and wanted one more for a friend. I met them with the 5 heart bowls for them to choose and they bought all five!
How do you get out of a funk like this!? Now I need to make a few more.
1729524244081.jpeg

1729524216464.jpeg

1729524185148.jpeg
1729524155775.jpeg

Those are cute, but ANY production work seems like a "Job" to me, and I retired 18 years ago and not interested in going back to work.

How about this for a way out: Teach your wife to make them!

As for pricing out the the market, I got tired of too many people wanting custom rider's crops for equine competition. I went from $75 each to $300 and that didn't stop them. I'd rather give them away for free to people I pick.

JKJ

Website
www.turning4home.com
Those are quite beautiful and imaginative, David-I can see why they sell like, well, wooden hearts! And your staining work is stunning, too. I have no answer for you, though I am facing something a little similar here. Having just retired from teaching in May, I went immediately into full production mode, and managed to get into a great local market in which the two ladies running it are rapidly expanding to promote many of the local craft markets. I was advised by many to start turning "chotchkes" like bottle openers, coffee scoops, etc. for easy sales. Problem is, I actually got mad when I felt like I had to spend a day cranking them out instead of my favorite pieces: one-off live edge bowls, platters, square trays, lidded boxes and bowls, etc. It just felt too much like grunt production work. I worked my way through college doing factory work, so I had/have no urge to go back to that. Funny thing is, I follow and have learned a lot from watching Instagram videos of the UK's famous production turners like Steve Jones, Richard Findley and others, but that kind of work is not for me, and the repeatability and precision required is way beyond my current skill level in any case.

Now, after three monthly shows, yes, I have sold some of those inexpensive trinkets, but also more of my higher-end pieces than I expected, with orders for more. In fact, my live edge pieces sell as fast as I can make them, with orders for more. Fast forward to the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, with this entire region's biggest trees having been uprooted everywhere you go, including my backyard that still looks like a war-zone! In addition to some random logs I have been turning and marketing as "Hurricane Bowls," my arborist friend and neighbor hooked me up last week with a massive, gorgeous black walnut tree that I have just barely gotten started on. I took a few still-wet rough-turns to last Saturday's show, and got orders right then for the finished pieces. The lady who runs the show encouraged me to make what I want, and not worry too much about trying to sell trinkets. With that in mind, I plan to continue to market myself in that niche, and expand it into sales on my fledgling website once the holiday show season is over.

I have been advised by much more seasoned mentors to turn and market what you want to be known for so you don't get pigeon-holed into things you'd rather not do. I'm reminded of a story I was told of a great wood-turner who made some really distinctive pepper mills that made it into a magazine years ago (maybe it was our AAW magazine? I don't know). I hear that he promptly got overwhelmed by orders for pepper mills, and having made thousands of them, is now understandably tired of them. Along similar lines, you can usually find the old codger with a booth full of pens at any given show, but that's not for me. I turned dozens of pens for Christmas when I 1st started, but I hated the drudgery of it, and never want to turn another one (no offense to pen turners, some of whom do stunning work).

Ironically, now that I know I don't HAVE to do them, I won't mind turning some Christmas trees, snowmen and other Christmas trinkets for upcoming holiday shows. So though I would consider myself sort of a journeyman craftsman at this stage-the term artist seems a bit pretentious for my current work-I still want to turn mostly the work that feeds my soul as I mentioned above. (And I do have some ideas for a few "art" pieces that I plan to turn when I can get more ahead of all the downed green wood surrounding us). None of which solves your problem, but I think many if not most turners find themselves at this crossroads somewhere early in their turning journey, so you are not alone with your conundrum.

Life is short. Turn what feeds your soul (which I can see that you do from your other posts-your live edge pieces are what I hope to emulate, to be honest). Just my 2 cents. Aaron

As an aside, if you haven’t already I think it’s worth talking explicitly with your wife about why she wants you to make them, and about your funk/reservations. Speaking from experience, it’s easy to ride that kind of thing out or take it all into yourself. Yet that definitely feels like a communication problem, not a woodturning one. Don’t try to solve it, just get all of the cards on the table: what do each of you want? That conversation will inform next steps like nothing else.

As for the bowls themselves, they’re super cute and I see why they’re popular. Whether or not you carry them forward, congratulations on having made that design! So a random idea, take it or leave it: start making them only in strictly limited annual quantities exclusively for charity auction. This assumes a few things: 1) that you’d like to continue serving the market for these bowls and 2) it’s OK to drop them from your production income. That way you have a place to direct interested parties, and the auctions will do some good for some folks. Last but not least, the limit strictly gates your energy investment.

I agree with Jim - price them high enough that you are happy to make them. If that doesn't work for you I would just tell people exactly what you wrote here but more succinctly - " You know, I'm focusing on making one of a kind bowls right now after I got a little burnt out making the same thing repeatedly. I'm in this to feed my creative urge." Most people will totally understand and support you.

You’ve gotten a lot of good advice. Gotta tell you—they are lovely—I’m tempted to buy one! I can understand that you don’t want to do more. I don’t want to make pens. If you don’t need the $, do as suggested and make a few, price them exorbitantly, and move on. Bet they’d still sell. Do you have a video on how you make them? Guess I’m no help at all!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The problem is I don’t like making them anymore😁, it’s like production and I’m more of a one-off kind of turner.
I heard Alan Batty when he was with us say several times with different words

What’s all this having fun about? It’s a job!

Me I do what I want. With possible exceptions of considering guidance from loved ones

Part of my career has involved working alongside production visual artists of a few flavors. And there were many career war stories which amounted to: "yeah, that job paid the bills but was creatively soul-draining. I was so glad to get out." I think people involved in creative careers are especially prone to this, since there's an inbuilt expectation along the lines of "I got into this <art/craft> because I love it!" That makes it harder to just keep turning the crank for production work that's rote, repetitive, and uninspiring for the long-haul. (And conversely, I occasionally get to see these folks find dream jobs that both pay the bills and where the art is just super exciting for them. So good.)

Website
www.zargon.com
Hola¿. Love that answer.
My wife is retired from being an accountant… And I’m retired from being a commercial photographer… So you can expect that she wouldn’t know which end of the lathe does the turning and forget about trying to teach her how to hold Tool.

But hey one and I threw in my two cents as well… If you don’t wanna do it, don’t do it.
However
When I hear things like this, I immediately think of my youthful hero Manard G. Krebs “work!?!??? What! Me WORK!!!”

Does the old black-and-white show Dobie Gillis ring a bell with anyone?

Thank you for this post, very much appreciated.

Two sort of obvious suggestions on how to exit the making. 1. Outsourcing / have someone else make them for you. 2. Price yourself out of the market.
I have showed several people how to make them but they are all out of state😁.
I’ll get through the funk and make more at some point in life and will price them a little higher!

Those are cute, but ANY production work seems like a "Job" to me, and I retired 18 years ago and not interested in going back to work.

As for pricing out the the market, I got tired of too many people wanting custom rider's crops for equine competition. I went from $75 each to $300 and that didn't stop them. I'd rather give them away for free to people I pick.

JKJ
It does seem like a job when doing 10-15 at a time. I had the owner of a wood products company approach me about turning urns for him. He said he would buy anything I needed to make them and buy everyone I made. I told him I didn’t want this to seem like a job, so turned him down. He understood but still contact me every so often to see if I changed my mind.
I could teach the wife to make them, give her my Powermatic and buy me an American Beauty😂😂

Those are quite beautiful and imaginative, David-I can see why they sell like, well, wooden hearts! And your staining work is stunning, too. I have no answer for you, though I am facing something a little similar here. Having just retired from teaching in May, I went immediately into full production mode, and managed to get into a great local market in which the two ladies running it are rapidly expanding to promote many of the local craft markets. I was advised by many to start turning "chotchkes" like bottle openers, coffee scoops, etc. for easy sales. Problem is, I actually got mad when I felt like I had to spend a day cranking them out instead of my favorite pieces: one-off live edge bowls, platters, square trays, lidded boxes and bowls, etc. It just felt too much like grunt production work. I worked my way through college doing factory work, so I had/have no urge to go back to that. Funny thing is, I follow and have learned a lot from watching Instagram videos of the UK's famous production turners like Steve Jones, Richard Findley and others, but that kind of work is not for me, and the repeatability and precision required is way beyond my current skill level in any case.

Now, after three monthly shows, yes, I have sold some of those inexpensive trinkets, but also more of my higher-end pieces than I expected, with orders for more. In fact, my live edge pieces sell as fast as I can make them, with orders for more. Fast forward to the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, with this entire region's biggest trees having been uprooted everywhere you go, including my backyard that still looks like a war-zone! In addition to some random logs I have been turning and marketing as "Hurricane Bowls," my arborist friend and neighbor hooked me up last week with a massive, gorgeous black walnut tree that I have just barely gotten started on. I took a few still-wet rough-turns to last Saturday's show, and got orders right then for the finished pieces. The lady who runs the show encouraged me to make what I want, and not worry too much about trying to sell trinkets. With that in mind, I plan to continue to market myself in that niche, and expand it into sales on my fledgling website once the holiday show season is over.

I have been advised by much more seasoned mentors to turn and market what you want to be known for so you don't get pigeon-holed into things you'd rather not do. I'm reminded of a story I was told of a great wood-turner who made some really distinctive pepper mills that made it into a magazine years ago (maybe it was our AAW magazine? I don't know). I hear that he promptly got overwhelmed by orders for pepper mills, and having made thousands of them, is now understandably tired of them. Along similar lines, you can usually find the old codger with a booth full of pens at any given show, but that's not for me. I turned dozens of pens for Christmas when I 1st started, but I hated the drudgery of it, and never want to turn another one (no offense to pen turners, some of whom do stunning work).

Ironically, now that I know I don't HAVE to do them, I won't mind turning some Christmas trees, snowmen and other Christmas trinkets for upcoming holiday shows. So though I would consider myself sort of a journeyman craftsman at this stage-the term artist seems a bit pretentious for my current work-I still want to turn mostly the work that feeds my soul as I mentioned above. (And I do have some ideas for a few "art" pieces that I plan to turn when I can get more ahead of all the downed green wood surrounding us). None of which solves your problem, but I think many if not most turners find themselves at this crossroads somewhere early in their turning journey, so you are not alone with your conundrum.

Life is short. Turn what feeds your soul (which I can see that you do from your other posts-your live edge pieces are what I hope to emulate, to be honest). Just my 2 cents. Aaron
I think that’s more or less what I want to do, feed my soul. I just want to turn what I like and I’m sure at some point I may turn these again.

As an aside, if you haven’t already I think it’s worth talking explicitly with your wife about why she wants you to make them, and about your funk/reservations. Speaking from experience, it’s easy to ride that kind of thing out or take it all into yourself. Yet that definitely feels like a communication problem, not a woodturning one. Don’t try to solve it, just get all of the cards on the table: what do each of you want? That conversation will inform next steps like nothing else.

As for the bowls themselves, they’re super cute and I see why they’re popular. Whether or not you carry them forward, congratulations on having made that design! So a random idea, take it or leave it: start making them only in strictly limited annual quantities exclusively for charity auction. This assumes a few things: 1) that you’d like to continue serving the market for these bowls and 2) it’s OK to drop them from your production income. That way you have a place to direct interested parties, and the auctions will do some good for some folks. Last but not least, the limit strictly gates your energy investment.
Okay first thing is my wife and I don’t have any communication problems. We will be married 40 years this November, we are partners in life and everything we do. She is my biggest fan and knows when to push me and when not to, so don’t even go there.
As for you other suggestion, I like that and do a lot for charity now with my turnings. I like the idea of doing just one production run a year, that could work as soon as this funk is over😁

Last edited:
I agree with Jim - price them high enough that you are happy to make them. If that doesn't work for you I would just tell people exactly what you wrote here but more succinctly - " You know, I'm focusing on making one of a kind bowls right now after I got a little burnt out making the same thing repeatedly. I'm in this to feed my creative urge." Most people will totally understand and support you.
I like that and will use it t for this show. Production just gets boring really fast on these but I can turn 5-6 bowls and and don’t experience any boredom just want to turn 5-6 more!

You’ve gotten a lot of good advice. Gotta tell you—they are lovely—I’m tempted to buy one! I can understand that you don’t want to do more. I don’t want to make pens. If you don’t need the $, do as suggested and make a few, price them exorbitantly, and move on. Bet they’d still sell. Do you have a video on how you make them? Guess I’m no help at all!
I have a documented process in photos and short videos that I’ve sent to 10-12 turners that wanted to make them. And actually guided 3 though messenger to help them. I can send you the process, once I find it, or post it here. Just not sure you can post videos taken on your phone, however I can take som stills form the video.

I heard Alan Batty when he was with us say several times with different words

Me I do what I want. With possible exceptions of considering guidance from loved ones
Exactly, I don’t want this to seem like a job because I’m having too much fun!!

Part of my career has involved working alongside production visual artists of a few flavors. And there were many career war stories which amounted to: "yeah, that job paid the bills but was creatively soul-draining. I was so glad to get out." I think people involved in creative careers are especially prone to this, since there's an inbuilt expectation along the lines of "I got into this <art/craft> because I love it!" That makes it harder to just keep turning the crank for production work that's rote, repetitive, and uninspiring for the long-haul. (And conversely, I occasionally get to see these folks find dream jobs that both pay the bills and where the art is just super exciting for them. So good.)
I’m not doing this for money although I do make money from it. I basically want to create, fund the hobby, help others by donating bowls, and maybe get recognized by the Smithsonian 😂

Hola¿. Love that answer.
My wife is retired from being an accountant… And I’m retired from being a commercial photographer… So you can expect that she wouldn’t know which end of the lathe does the turning and forget about trying to teach her how to hold Tool.

But hey one and I threw in my two cents as well… If you don’t wanna do it, don’t do it.
However
When I hear things like this, I immediately think of my youthful hero Manard G. Krebs “work!?!??? What! Me WORK!!!”

Exactly, but I’m more of a Gilligan type😂

Hola¿. Love that answer.

However

I've watched Dobie Gillis! But I'm older than some hills.

All this woodturing, my welding, music, digging dirt with heavy equipment, and raising animals is all play to me. If it started feeling like work, I wouldn't do it.

I've seen people so focused on prepping for craft shows it seemed like a way of life. And some didn't seem very happy. One guy had multiple tables set up in his basement with hundreds of things for the craft fair circuit. I couldn't live like that. Besides making what I want and when I want, I do really like a few things that take a lot of effort.

One is making something I know will make someone happy. Some months ago I made my first conductor baton for a friend to give to her sister, a choral director, for a big production. I always give things like this away. If they insist on paying, I give them the name of our favorite local charity.

Two is teaching. Anything, little kids, adults, not just woodturning. I'll happily spend hours or days teaching a beginner the basics of woodturning (I start with the skew), then bring them through how to hold and turn a variety of things, then set them on their journey (or let them come use my lathe for years!). What a wonderful fulfillment, good for the soul. My fee is always the same, a good story or a good joke. Our club has a mentoring program which brings people to my and other's shops.. (For those who don't know, the AAW offers good, inexpensive insurance for mentoring programs to protect the AAW chapter club and the mentor. The mentors have to be members of the AAW but the mentees simply have to be paid-up club members.)

The third is doing demos at clubs. Some pay money, some don't, I don't care. I especially love doing demos on things that of my own design or things that nobody, or almost nobody, has ever done. It's important to teach the basics but the more challenging the better. - It is so enriching to have people send me pictures or come later and show me something they would have never even thought they could have completed. Good clean fun!

Oh, I do make almost anything on the slightest suggestion from my Lovely Bride (of 54 years). She especially loves special things for her kitchen, and fortunately, she loves olive wood!

Same thing with the sawmill behind the barn and the thousands of blanks I've cut up on the shop bandsaw and dried. If I did it for money it would be too much like work.
If any of this got to be a drudgery I'd quit and take up basket weaving or sketching again.

Oh, that's also great fun! This is a pencil sketch of my good friend David O I did a 1/2 century ago, discolored now by age (sadly, David's no longer with us)

david_obanion_IMG_5150_se.jpg

JKJ

All this woodturing, my welding, music, digging dirt with heavy equipment, and raising animals is all play to me. If it started feeling like work, I wouldn't do it.

I've seen people so focused on prepping for craft shows it seemed like a way of life. And some didn't seem very happy. One guy had multiple tables set up in his basement with hundreds of things for the craft fair circuit. I couldn't live like that. Besides making what I want and when I want, I do really like a few things that take a lot of effort.

One is making something I know will make someone happy. Some months ago I made my first conductor baton for a friend to give to her sister, a choral director, for a big production. I always give things like this away. If they insist on paying, I give them the name of our favorite local charity.

Two is teaching. Anything, little kids, adults, not just woodturning. I'll happily spend hours or days teaching a beginner the basics of woodturning (I start with the skew), then bring them through how to hold and turn a variety of things, then set them on their journey (or let them come use my lathe for years!). What a wonderful fulfillment, good for the soul. My fee is always the same, a good story or a good joke. Our club has a mentoring program which brings people to my and other's shops.. (For those who don't know, the AAW offers good, inexpensive insurance for mentoring programs to protect the AAW chapter club and the mentor. The mentors have to be members of the AAW but the mentees simply have to be paid-up club members.)

The third is doing demos at clubs. Some pay money, some don't, I don't care. I especially love doing demos on things that of my own design or things that nobody, or almost nobody, has ever done. It's important to teach the basics but the more challenging the better. - It is so enriching to have people send me pictures or come later and show me something they would have never even thought they could have completed. Good clean fun!

Oh, I do make almost anything on the slightest suggestion from my Lovely Bride (of 54 years). She especially loves special things for her kitchen, and fortunately, she loves olive wood!

Same thing with the sawmill behind the barn and the thousands of blanks I've cut up on the shop bandsaw and dried. If I did it for money it would be too much like work.
If any of this got to be a drudgery I'd quit and take up basket weaving or sketching again.

Oh, that's also great fun! This is a pencil sketch of my good friend David O I did a 1/2 century ago, discolored now by age (sadly, David's no longer with us)

View attachment 67993

JKJ
That sketch is amazing, really.

That sketch is amazing, really.

Why thank you, so kind! I did that one with a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil, HB lead.
The nice thing was people who knew him recognized him from the sketch. :D

I did a series once on birds, hawks, osprey, etc. Good clean fun. I prefer simple pencil sketching to watercolor and other media (to many color decisions!) and charcoal (too messy for me).

JKJ

View attachment 67993

JKJ

John, you are an incredibly talented man.

I did a series once on birds, hawks, osprey, etc. Good clean fun.

JKJ

Once upon a time I was a falconer. While I don't practice anymore, I am always on the lookout for birds of prey.

AD_4nXcvlIgGBGdUxNZTKtBQc2fJaglouQz4fhqHeNhiBFYu78guXLqiZ7eT2tLrQgCr2UREDsx1_Wfhts76BwXgLQR9CDxgR0e29QgA7mRZb4B3LaILwvO-pLpYQueIAjVDfXMX5cpO5aQkWSJ4Xt7muWeV647jdVNxQ8jq_07gMUjB8s6JWmwYmF0

This picture is a pretty rare event. My redtailed hawk caught a rooster pheasant. Most of the time I was hunting rabbits.

This picture is a pretty rare event. My redtailed hawk caught a rooster pheasant. Most of the time I was hunting rabbits.

That sounds like fun! The only bird of prey I’ve been within a few inches of in a long time was a huge great horned owl. (It was taking out my guineas at night from a tall tree, one at a time. I caught it in a big live trap. It was very angry at me.

We have lots of hawks here at the farm. For some reason they never bother the guineas. I did have one dive, talons out, from a tall tree, headed for a tame pet rabbit I let wander around the field. One of my large male peacocks jumped off a stump on the other side of the field and chased that hawk to the next county!

I used to hunt rabbits when I was a teen in PA. I had a hunting dog that was so bad I’d see the tracks in the snow and the actual rabbit up ahead and point them out to the dog. He was to dumb to even try to find it.

I had better luck with my cat. That cat would often bring home a variety of animals including full-sized rabbits and leave them on the mat at the porch door. Every day there would be something else. The most surprising was when he presented us with an adult ring necked pheasant!

And we had a cat in Oak Ridge TN who started catching rabbits and “saving” them in a window well under the front deck. I pulled 8 rabbits from that window well. I had to use a gas mask and a long-reach grabber. :)

JKJ

I don't have any advice you haven't already gotten, except maybe to make larger batches when you do. I make spindles for spinning wool that a homestead heritage place an hour or so away sells in their fiber crafts store. I do get tired of making those, but, fortunately, there are many kinds of spindles, so I don't make the same kind all the time. Still, one thing I do is make 20-30 at a time. I'm just as tired of it as when I make 10 or so, but I have many more to sell before I have to make them again!

I don't have any advice you haven't already gotten, except maybe to make larger batches when you do. I make spindles for spinning wool that a homestead heritage place an hour or so away sells in their fiber crafts store. I do get tired of making those, but, fortunately, there are many kinds of spindles, so I don't make the same kind all the time. Still, one thing I do is make 20-30 at a time. I'm just as tired of it as when I make 10 or so, but I have many more to sell before I have to make them again!

I like to make drop spindles too! I usually give them away along with a fleece of alpaca fiber from the farm. (I have spinning wheels, drum carder, etc, and a few years ago learned to knit after all these years.) The last one I gave was a Christmas present for young man who, in my kindergarten SS class, told me he wanted to be a sheep farmer some day. He is now a sheep farmer and well on his way to finishing vet school!

I've made a bunch but failed to take many photos. This is the only one I see at the moment in my files, is bloodwood and dogwood:

drop_spindle_comp.jpg

We knew someone (now no longer with us) who sold dozens of drop spindles she made from a decorated toy wooden wheel and a dowel rod. I think her customers were mostly members of the local Hand Spinners Guild. (One meets monthly in Knoxville, TN, but I think they are all over - imagine a room with 20+ people seated in a big oval with their spinning wheels.) Another friend always sells llama/alpaca roving to other spinners there.

Hey, have you ever made supported spindles? I made one for a friend. A special form of hand spinning where the spindle rests in a small bowl. Commonly used for fine linen. I made a little bowl from lignum vitae and mounted it on the end of a flat stick so she could spin while seated with the stick held between the thigh and the seat. I found a lot of info on supported spindles with help from Sir Google.

JKJ

That sounds like fun! The only bird of prey I’ve been within a few inches of in a long time was a huge great horned owl. (It was taking out my guineas at night from a tall tree, one at a time. I caught it in a big live trap. It was very angry at me.

We have lots of hawks here at the farm. For some reason they never bother the guineas. I did have one dive, talons out, from a tall tree, headed for a tame pet rabbit I let wander around the field. One of my large male peacocks jumped off a stump on the other side of the field and chased that hawk to the next county!

I used to hunt rabbits when I was a teen in PA. I had a hunting dog that was so bad I’d see the tracks in the snow and the actual rabbit up ahead and point them out to the dog. He was to dumb to even try to find it.

I had better luck with my cat. That cat would often bring home a variety of animals including full-sized rabbits and leave them on the mat at the porch door. Every day there would be something else. The most surprising was when he presented us with an adult ring necked pheasant!

And we had a cat in Oak Ridge TN who started catching rabbits and “saving” them in a window well under the front deck. I pulled 8 rabbits from that window well. I had to use a gas mask and a long-reach grabber. :)

JKJ

Fortunately, we don't have resident raptors large enough to want to go after guinea hens. Our buteos (redtailed hawk, red shouldered, etc.) are on the small size, and buteos are generally eating mice and snakes. That brings us to the accipiters: Northern goshawk, Copper's, hawk, and sharp-shinned hawk. The accipiters are forest dwellers. We probably don't have resident goshawks in TN, but we might. Cooper's hawks and sharpies are abundant, but they are too small to go after a guinea hen. A goshawk migrating through would definitely go after them. That brings us to the falcons. Common falcons are the peregrine, prairie, and gyrfalcon. Of those, I expect only the peregrine would be present in your neck of the woods, on migration or perhaps resident. A peregrine might go after a guinea hen, but because they are big, they are on the edge of the peregrine's natural prey range. There's a chance gyrfalcons migrate through from Canada, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

So I'll bet on a goshawk or a falcon.

That was way more than you were wanted, LOL.

I like to make drop spindles too! I usually give them away along with a fleece of alpaca fiber from the farm. (I have spinning wheels, drum carder, etc, and a few years ago learned to knit after all these years.) The last one I gave was a Christmas present for young man who, in my kindergarten SS class, told me he wanted to be a sheep farmer some day. He is now a sheep farmer and well on his way to finishing vet school!

I've made a bunch but failed to take many photos. This is the only one I see at the moment in my files, is bloodwood and dogwood:
I have made support spindles. I like using those as well, but my favorite to use are Turkish spindles, which I also make. I have Churro sheep, and shear them for wool, spin it, and weave tapestries.

Here's some of my latest turkish spindles, and some assorted drop spindles. I use mostly wood I've harvested myself on my farm, like pecan, mesquite, sugar maple, sycamore, hackberry, etc. I have some walnut and cherry my grandfather-in-law cut down on his place in PA that I got from him years ago and use that as well. The only parts I turn for the Turkish spindles are the shafts, of course.

Attachments

• IMG_4734.jpg
    IMG_4734.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4735.jpg
    IMG_4735.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    452.9 KB · Views: 7
Fortunately, we don't have resident raptors large enough to want to go after guinea hens. Our buteos (redtailed hawk, red shouldered, etc.) are on the small size, and buteos are generally eating mice and snakes. That brings us to the accipiters: Northern goshawk, Copper's, hawk, and sharp-shinned hawk. The accipiters are forest dwellers. We probably don't have resident goshawks in TN, but we might. Cooper's hawks and sharpies are abundant, but they are too small to go after a guinea hen. A goshawk migrating through would definitely go after them. That brings us to the falcons. Common falcons are the peregrine, prairie, and gyrfalcon. Of those, I expect only the peregrine would be present in your neck of the woods, on migration or perhaps resident. A peregrine might go after a guinea hen, but because they are big, they are on the edge of the peregrine's natural prey range. There's a chance gyrfalcons migrate through from Canada, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

So I'll bet on a goshawk or a falcon.

That was way more than you were wanted, LOL.
Well, I was sitting in my bedroom looking out the back window toward my chicken coop one day a few years ago and saw a redtailed hawk land on one of my full size hens. This is the hill country of central Texas, and I do believe our redtails are a bit larger here. I've had guineas (couldn't wait to get rid of the noisy buggers), and they weren't any bigger than my hens.

A peregrine might go after a guinea hen, but because they are big, they are on the edge of the peregrine's natural prey range.

This is what got two guineas in a row. I had scared it off before it started eating this guinea so I threw it in the trap for bait.
At the time, I had no idea what got the guineas, I thought maybe raccoons climbing high into a tree.

owl_pic2.jpg
looking out the back window toward my chicken coop one day a few years ago and saw a redtailed hawk land on one of my full size hens.

A red-tailed hawk got one of my chickens - I went out to the pen and it had it's talons in the chicken's head, but the chicken was too big to life.
Another time a red-tailed hawk caught a rabbit and it was too heavy for it. It would jump an drag it across the grass a little at a time to get it away from the road, then started on supper.

I love hawks, owls, and all kind of birds. Sometimes, though, I wish they would eat at someone else's restaurant!

JKJ

. I have Churro sheep, and shear them for wool, spin it, and weave tapestries.

Ever use alpaca? The fiber is incredible, with kink like sheep but with no or extremely little lanolin. And sometimes there's a lot of fiber. I weighed one before and after shearing and it was 8 lbs lighter!

Here's Sparky, a fairly small alpaca.
shearing_before_after.jpg

If you need some alpaca, give me a shout.

JKJ

This is what got two guineas in a row. I had scared it off before it started eating this guinea so I threw it in the trap for bait.
At the time, I had no idea what got the guineas, I thought maybe raccoons climbing high into a tree.

View attachment 68014

A red-tailed hawk got one of my chickens - I went out to the pen and it had it's talons in the chicken's head, but the chicken was too big to life.
Another time a red-tailed hawk caught a rabbit and it was too heavy for it. It would jump an drag it across the grass a little at a time to get it away from the road, then started on supper.

I love hawks, owls, and all kind of birds. Sometimes, though, I wish they would eat at someone else's restaurant!

JKJ
There are red tails and GHOs here in Phoenix. We had ducks and chickens but down to 1 duck now (age). Never had a problem until the past winter. a GHO attacked our remaining duck. She got torn up pretty bad but has healed. Doesn't wonder too far from her house anymore.
I think the GHO that attacked our duck was a juvenile and didn't realize the duck was as big as it was.

Ever use alpaca? The fiber is incredible, with kink like sheep but with no or extremely little lanolin. And sometimes there's a lot of fiber. I weighed one before and after shearing and it was 8 lbs lighter!

Here's Sparky, a fairly small alpaca.
View attachment 68015

If you need some alpaca, give me a shout.

JKJ
I have used Alpaca blends, and really like them. I'm spinning an Alpaca/Corriedale/Mohair blend right now that I picked up from the place where I sell my spindles.

My Churro sheep have almost no lanolin as well. They are the sheep the Spanish brought over and the Navajo raised for centuries. They adapted to the harsh desert country in the Southwest, and are hardy and have great wool. Very little kemp. Long fibers, and tough. Great for rugs and tapestries. Any real Navojo blanket or rug you've ever seen was woven with Churro wool.

I'd always welcome some alpaca wool. That way I could mix it in myself in the ratio I like. I have a friend who raises Angora goats, so I get mohair from her that I mix with the Churro. That's a very common mix that you would usually get if you ordered Churro wool from someone.

I love hawks and eagles and owls as well, particularly owls. I used to want to keep a hawk and hunt with her, but that's a serious committment, and I never could find someone to mentor me so I could pass the tests. I had a golden eagle that lived in a butte behind my cabin when I lived near Cody, WY, and I never tired of watching her.

I have a documented process in photos and short videos that I’ve sent to 10-12 turners that wanted to make them. And actually guided 3 though messenger to help them. I can send you the process, once I find it, or post it here. Just not sure you can post videos taken on your phone, however I can take som stills form the video.
Those are nice heart shaped bowls, I can see why you can't keep them. This would make a nice follow along thread in the projects forum. Looks interesting. I'm the same as the rest of you, I like turning a variety of things to make myself happy and try to sell some to fund the hobby. I took some orders for Christmas gifts and I see what everyone means by that makes it a job.

Those are nice heart shaped bowls, I can see why you can't keep them. This would make a nice follow along thread in the projects forum. Looks interesting. I'm the same as the rest of you, I like turning a variety of things to make myself happy and try to sell some to fund the hobby. I took some orders for Christmas gifts and I see what everyone means by that makes it a job.
As soon as I locate the process I’ll post in the Projects Forum.

Back