• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threading Jig Recommendations?

I do use waste blocks when threading my small boxes. I do them on a mini lathe. If you buy the locking nuts, 1 by 8 tpi, turn out the plastic locking stuff, then face off the nut. It is a softer metal and cuts easily with standard M2 HSS. I then seat them in the waste block with 2 part epoxy. They do run more true then. The mass produced nuts are not 'precision' machined.

robo hippy

If you are just needing one and you are not going to make any more, then I will send you a male and female threaded pieces of wood. I make urns and make my threaded portions on my CNC. I make them in cherry, maple and walnut, that way they will match the wood of the urn at that layer (ring) if you are making segmented urns. So, if you need one in a few days, I will mail you what you need. Let me know. Larry Crouch
Nice offer Larry!! I love the family of woodturning!!

One of the claims for the jigs is that threads can be cut in a much wider range of species than for hand chasing. Is this the case? In the (Hope) video liberal use of CA glue is shown. Is it this that allows threads on more species? I’m learning hand chasing but the availability of suitable woods in the UK is a bit limited. I would like to be able to put a thread on “a nice piece” rather than have to choose a species to take a thread -within reason.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
One of the claims for the jigs is that threads can be cut in a much wider range of species than for hand chasing. Is this the case? In the (Hope) video liberal use of CA glue is shown. Is it this that allows threads on more species? I’m learning hand chasing but the availability of suitable woods in the UK is a bit limited. I would like to be able to put a thread on “a nice piece” rather than have to choose a species to take a thread -within reason.
Yeah - Threads could be *cut* into just about anything.. The question would then be if they will hold up/ last/ stay in place... CA glue is often used to harden up / stiffen wood fibers so they don't fragment into pieces while cutting threads and could be used for hand chased threads as well. From what I have seen/viewed/read a harder, more densely grained species is preferred for thread chasing simply for the reason that the wooden threads don't break off while they are being formed (so they stay looking pretty) otherwise you may end up with jagged raggedy looking threads that can jam up on each other if the lid is just a tiny bit too tight fitting (wood movement) and essentially rip out all the threads in one go with the next twist of the lid. So, I would suggest that species itself is not the important thing, it is the condition and quality of the wood into which threads are being cut - You'd have far better threading results in hard maple than you would in red or white oak, even though oak is the harder wood - because of the nature of the wood's grain (diffuse porous maple vs ring porous oak)

I think the advantage of a jig is that the cutter is taking away tiny bits from only one thread at a time, and with greater precision. I would guess the speed of the cutter to the feed of the wood is much higher. I'd also guess a climb milling action yields a cleaner cut that scraping.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've had very poor luck hardening threads with CA for hand chasing. It simply doesn't penetrate far enough. On soft woods you have to apply it almost every pass of the tool. With powered threaded on really soft woods I simply make a pass at almost the final depth. Apply CA and then cut another.005" or whatever it takes to get the fit I want. One advantage of hand chasing Is you can cut threads on the end of a spindle such as a gravel handle.

My attempts today with CA glue were frustratingly unsatisfactory. Clearly the precision of the jig helps and as Daryl points out the cutter is acting at a single point as opposed to running along the whole threaded portion. The cutter running at high speed must do a better job than my stroking the hand chaser along at 300 rpm. Decisions decisions!

Again using the Baxter I have made great threads in any dry wood I have tried including Pine, all without CA glue. The repeatability of the Baxter after checking for fit is important as your always dead on to the initial cut.

I'm also hoping that by going with 8 threads per inch, they will be a little bolder and more forgiving than a finer thread.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I had a similar experience with Chefwarekits for a different item. They eventually came through but it took 2-3 weeks longer than the quoted lead time. Its a small family operation and they have some struggles time wise I think. Try sending an email.

Inserts are the way to go short term, either brass as linked to or black abs plastic from the box store.

Another, cheaper, option is to make your own threading jig using a HF cross slide vise.

View: https://youtu.be/oAcgfq_WthM
I had the same problem with Chefware kit. When they did finally respond with a tracking number I still waited for two weeks for the item to ship. When it finally came in there were parts that had to be replaced. Total time from order to being able to use was almost 2 months. Hope you have better luck.

My jig arrived yesterday. I’m going to use it this weekend and see how it goes. Craig sent a very nice note apologizing for the delay so all is well.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Thought you all might find this interesting. Years ago I built this lathe bed to hold my Baxter threader to be able to use my router. Did it for two reasons. One was to be able to demo threading at clubs using the Baxter. You buy it built for a specific lathe so you cant just take it with you and use any old club lathe. The other reason was I thought spinning the cutter at higher rpm would cut cleaner threads. Well.it doesnt. In fact it will leave a burn mark anytime you stop the handwheel to change your grip. I got around that buy adding a nut to the end of the handwheel. It's the same size as the nut on the bar you move to allow repositioning the threader to test your thread fits. Using this wrench on the handwheel let's me cut the entire thread while continuously rotating the handwheel. I also sometimes use a router speed control to slow down the cutter.
This rig let's me travel and do threading demos no matter what lathe they have. It's also really handy for me because it's ready to cut threads at a moments notice no matter which one of my lathes I'm on.

Attachments

• 20230511_062909.jpg
    20230511_062909.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 52
Some of my thoughts on cutting wood threads using threading jigs (as opposed to hand chasing threads). In the world of metalworking the process is called thread milling.

There aren't right and wrong ways to do it. There are some ways that are better than others though. Take for instance direction of cut which doesn't get much if any mention in threading demo's.

Climb cutting is shown in the first pic.

climb milling.JPG

Conventional milling is shown in this picture.

climb not.JPG

Which would appear to be best? With climb milling the wood fibers might be severed more cleanly as they're pushed down against solid backing. With conventional milling the wood fibers might be lifted and not severed so cleanly. So if you had a choice which method would be preferred in wood threading? Do you have a choice?

Something else to think about. The cutter shown in my previous posting has a neutral rake on the teeth. This is the way some HSS steel cutters are made that are supplied with threading jigs. The face of each tooth intersects the center of the cutter. That is not a free cutting geometry for wood. The teeth on wood cutting table saw blades are not neutral rake for a reason.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Something else to think about. The cutter shown in my previous posting has a neutral rake on the teeth. This is the way some HSS steel cutters are made that are supplied with threading jigs. The face of each tooth intersects the center of the cutter. That is not a free cutting geometry for wood. The teeth on wood cutting table saw blades are not neutral rake for a reason.
True. My understanding is that the positive rake provides for a cleaner cut in woods but that the angle differs depending on use (crosscutting, ripping, etc). And I imagine you won't want to use a positive rake blade cutting metal for safety's sake? Not a metal guy so I don't know anything about that subject. :)

Something to ponder on wood threading jig demonstrations.....

Consider a lathe spindle a male thread and the chuck a female thread.

Why do demonstrators almost always suggest the need for a relief at the bottom of a thread where it meets a shoulder whether male or female thread? Does the male thread on your lathe spindle have a relief? Does the female thread on your chucks have a relief at the bottom of the thread? None of mine do. One youtuber said the the relief for a female thread was so the tool could spin freely, not sure what that means.

Here's picture showing what might be called a relief at the beginning of a metalworking female threaded face plate. With that type relief there's no need for the other reliefs that are suggested and easier to do.

thread relief.JPG

Something to ponder on wood threading jig demonstrations.....

Consider a lathe spindle a male thread and the chuck a female thread.

Why do demonstrators almost always suggest the need for a relief at the bottom of a thread where it meets a shoulder whether male or female thread? Does the male thread on your lathe spindle have a relief? Does the female thread on your chucks have a relief at the bottom of the thread? None of mine do. One youtuber said the the relief for a female thread was so the tool could spin freely, not sure what that means.

Here's picture showing what might be called a relief at the beginning of a metalworking female threaded face plate. With that type relief there's no need for the other reliefs that are suggested and easier to do.

View attachment 52482
Tapping threads is just screwing in a tap and backing out again, so no relief. Chasing threads on a wood lathe requires a relief area for the end of the cutting action. It provides a stopping point for the tool. Without it, it might try to keep feeding deeper. You could use a jig with no relief, since you're just backing out again, but the finish point might not be so clear.

When I got my second Baxter now the BTM-12.5X I was very surprised that it fit most of my mini/midi lathes. Fit the 10" Vicmarc, the 12" Jet, the Delta 46-460s and it even fit the Vevor (Chinese) lathe. I am now waiting for the new Nova Neptune to see if it has the same size bed as the DVR for which my BTM-17 was made for, betting it doesn't but will find out shortly I hope.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Relief is not absolutely necessary when cutting threads with a powered threader. However the V shape of the cutter means you cant cut all the way to the shoulder. I ground away most of the outside of the cutter so I dont need much of a relief.
When hand chasing a relief is necessary to give you room to remove the cutter. If the cutter hits the shoulder it stops the forward movement and you instantly get 8 beads or however many teeth your beading tool has.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I just realized I ordered my chef work kit with a 16 TPI spindle. I have never done threading before I don’t know if that’s too fine for normal work. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I buy a 10 tpi?

I just realized I ordered my chef work kit with a 16 TPI spindle. I have never done threading before I don’t know if that’s too fine for normal work. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I buy a 10 tpi?

I have no experience with threading quite yet, but I'm thinking finer threads would generally be used on smaller objects and coarser threads on larger items. To me, it seems like a lot of the videos on threading have an example piece and most all of them are twisting and twisting to get a lid on or off. Personally, I like the simplicity of a peanut butter jar; no excessive rotations, super easy.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
16 is fine for boxes up to 2 maybe 3 inches. If your boxes are end grain it's less of a problem. if you make larger side grain boxes then wood movement seasonally is much more serious and not only requires a courser thread but how much "slop" or tolerance is needed.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
16 is fine for boxes up to 2 maybe 3 inches. If your boxes are end grain it's less of a problem. if you make larger side grain boxes then wood movement seasonally is much more serious and not only requires a courser thread but how much "slop" or tolerance is needed.
So maybe I'll give this one a go and since I plan on using some pretty hard wood for some smallish boxes, or maybe adding a slice of hard wood to some just for threading (and contrast). Thanks John!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I have no experience with threading quite yet, but I'm thinking finer threads would generally be used on smaller objects and coarser threads on larger items. To me, it seems like a lot of the videos on threading have an example piece and most all of them are twisting and twisting to get a lid on or off. Personally, I like the simplicity of a peanut butter jar; no excessive rotations, super easy.

That "peanut butter jar" simplicity is kind of what I was thinking. I guess the thing to do is forge ahead and see. Like John said, smaller boxes and that's what I was planning on. I have a bunch of 3 x 6 elm and box elder blanks.

16 tpi number is .070, that is .035 on a side. I take it in 2 cuts .020 and then .015. For me 16 tpi is a good all around thread and I use it up to the full diameter of the Baxter. I use 8 tpi for cutting things for the spindles and 10 tpi for use on the live center.

That "peanut butter jar" simplicity is kind of what I was thinking. I guess the thing to do is forge ahead and see. Like John said, smaller boxes and that's what I was planning on. I have a bunch of 3 x 6 elm and box elder blanks.
Here is an alternate to threading just turn about 5 to 10 degrees and lift off.
20013Urn.JPG 20013Urn-D.JPG Segmented buckthorn with a walnut finial

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Curious how you made the slots for the top dowels to fit into.
I mounted a small right angle pneumatic die grinder on my Delta cross slide with the top slide set to operate as the X axis and the Y axis used to center on the lathe bed. The index on the lathe is used to hold the work piece in place as you advance the bit into the work piece against a stop then remove the index pin and move the work piece by hand about 10 degrees, shut down the die grinder, move the piece back to the index point and back the die grinder out of the way. Move to the next index position and repeat. The size of the opening needs to be big enough to accommodate the die grinder and on the pictured vessel the opening is 3.875" ID.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If you look up my router on the lathe article I use the same sort of system to cu slots for that type of lid. I use my router or Dremel in a carriage.

You could also recess several small diameter magnets in the lid and the box to secure the lid. If you want to get creative, you could make a locking mechanism which requires a magnet to unlock the lid from the box.

I like the simplicity of a peanut butter jar; no excessive rotations, super easy.
My favorite type threaded lid is a single turn, same as a peanut butter jar. I use 4 TPI bottle threads cut on my CNC. Bottle threads are more tolerant of a loose fit to compensate for wood movement than 60 degree vee threads. AFAIK nobody makes a conventional threading jig with that coarse a pitch. Use the search function to see some samples.

My first threading jig was 40 some years ago based on an early Delta lathe with work held a spindle chuck and cutter in a router. The router carriage used a screw out of an old car jack. The cutter was hand ground from an HSS dovetail cutter. I made the kids an erector set with wood nuts and bolts.

OK, our club demo is in 10 days. Our president will demo his Chefware threading jig, and I will demo my homemade setup. I totally forgot about this thread and found it while searching for ideas on how to build it. o_O:rolleyes:

16 tpi number is .070, that is .035 on a side. I take it in 2 cuts .020 and then .015. For me 16 tpi is a good all around thread and I use it up to the full diameter of the Baxter. I use 8 tpi for cutting things for the spindles and 10 tpi for use on the live center.

I decided my rig should have an accurate method of measurement. At first, I was thinking I'd have a screw feed, (might still add it) and count rotations. I decided to go digital and ordered an inexpensive caliper from Amazon. I'll dismantle it and trim off any unneeded bits. With a fairly wide range of motion (~6") and a digital readout, I should be able to move it around enough to test fit lids and return for more cutting if necessary.

OK, the jig is about done in my mind, I just need to build it. :eek: :oops:

Pretty cool article in the latest American Woodturner about turning threaded rings. I had thought about turning my first urn/box from a single chunk of dry wood. Then I wondered how I might get the grain in the body and lid to line up....

Last edited:
Very interesting. Using a router like that might be simper in a way... I may too far with it, at least for this round. D'oh!

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Cindy Drozda just did a class on both threading and making boxes with the Niles inserts. You can still watch the recordings.

362917135_822971062889685_816431955588771244_n.jpg

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hi everyone. Anybody have a recommendation for a threading jig? I need one in fairly short order to make an urn for my boss' pet, who is not doing well. I'd like it to have a screw on cap but no way can I learn to do it by hand in the time I think I'll have.

I ordered a Chefware kits threading jig a while back and it hasn't shipped, just shows "processing". I can't get anyone on the phone and emails aren't answered. Not to disparage them but I'm thinking of canceling and ordering something else but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
I have turned several urns, salt shakers and other pieces that require a screw-on lid. I have used black or white PVC screw-on fittings, which are available in several sizes. PVC is easily turned on a lathe. A collar and a matching plug can be integrated into the turning to provide the desired joint. The PVC can be hidden or shaped to produce a contrasting feature. Urns and many other containers generally do not require a large opening for filling so very large fittings may not be required.

Back