• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Threading Jig Recommendations?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I have turned several urns, salt shakers and other pieces that require a screw-on lid. I have used black or white PVC screw-on fittings, which are available in several sizes. PVC is easily turned on a lathe. A collar and a matching plug can be integrated into the turning to provide the desired joint. The PVC can be hidden or shaped to produce a contrasting feature. Urns and many other containers generally do not require a large opening for filling so very large fittings may not be required.
Love this idea Dennis. I’m going to give it a try

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Hi everyone. Anybody have a recommendation for a threading jig? I need one in fairly short order to make an urn for my boss' pet, who is not doing well. I'd like it to have a screw on cap but no way can I learn to do it by hand in the time I think I'll have.

I ordered a Chefware kits threading jig a while back and it hasn't shipped, just shows "processing". I can't get anyone on the phone and emails aren't answered. Not to disparage them but I'm thinking of canceling and ordering something else but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!

I have turned several urns, salt shakers and other pieces that require a screw-on lid. I have used black or white PVC screw-on fittings, which are available in several sizes. PVC is easily turned on a lathe. A collar and a matching plug can be integrated into the turning to provide the desired joint. The PVC can be hidden or shaped to produce a contrasting feature. Urns and many other containers generally do not require a large opening for filling so very large fittings may not be required.
I forgot to mention that there is a variety of threaded PVC fittings in addition to the ones I mentioned. Some of them may work better in particular cases.

I got it put together and tried it out today. It seems to work well. I need a bit of practice before next week's club demo, to get all the steps down and in proper order. This first one was pretty slow, but the threads feel pretty damn close to perfect. I decided to do the first attempt on pine and with no CA on the final pass. Still nothing on it, just sanded.

PXL_20230805_174507856.jpgPXL_20230805_200857685.jpg7059776553688163229.jpg

I forgot to mention that there is a variety of threaded PVC fittings in addition to the ones I mentioned. Some of them may work better in particular cases.
The one problem not mentioned is the dissimilarity between wood and metal/plastics. The metal and plastics expand and retract due to temperature changes however that should not be a problem, but wood expands and contracts due to moisture in the air. The woods we use all have radial and tangential shrinkage rates and always equalize with their environment most of use live in areas where the humidity level changes with the seasons. The other thing I dislike about the non wood inserts is they are so bulky. The other thing to maybe consider is a slip fit as used in many of the so called boxes and once the ashes are in the urn put some glue the on the female side, then put the cover on one last time.

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Don, I agree that differential shrinkage could pose a problem. but I have never encountered one in any of my pieces some of which date back about twenty years. Note that a similar threat occurs when two different woods are joined. For example, many turned vessels have an ebony finial attached to much less dense wood.

Don, I agree that differential shrinkage could pose a problem. but I have never encountered one in any of my pieces some of which date back about twenty years. Note that a similar threat occurs when two different woods are joined. For example, many turned vessels have an ebony finial attached to much less dense wood.
I have been making urns with the threads cut directly in the wood for about 30 years and even with matching species there can be problems with binding so I tend to lean toward the coarser thread pitch of around 10TPI that will allow a loose fit. I do tend to use native hardwoods like walnut and birch together due to similar density. The stave segmented urn in my avatar is walnut and birch and as far as I know the the threads have not bound up. The photo below (scanned from a film print) is an urn made in about 1995 that has a thread pitch of 6 TPI and that has never bound up even though that is a highly figured piece of walnut.
UrnWalnutTall.jpg

I was looking for the Trend threading jig, and as near as I can tell, they don't make it any more. I had to return one of their 300/1000 grit stones to them and asked, and got no response.

robo hippy

Hi everyone. Anybody have a recommendation for a threading jig? I need one in fairly short order to make an urn for my boss' pet, who is not doing well. I'd like it to have a screw on cap but no way can I learn to do it by hand in the time I think I'll have.

I ordered a Chefware kits threading jig a while back and it hasn't shipped, just shows "processing". I can't get anyone on the phone and emails aren't answered. Not to disparage them but I'm thinking of canceling and ordering something else but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
I have a Baxter Threadmaster that was set up for a Delta midi lathe that I would like to sell. I live near Wilmington, NC.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
One thing I like about the Baxter threader is being able to sneak up on the fit you want. When I do larger boxes I allow a looser fit.

I have a Baxter Threadmaster that was set up for a Delta midi lathe that I would like to sell. I live near Wilmington, NC.
Post it in the For Sale section of the Woodturning Marketplace ... you'll find a buyer in no time!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That is why I built this rig. My threader was built for a jet mini. I sold it and stepped up to bigger lathes. I welded up some angle iron for the bed. Built a wooden cradle for a full size router. It works great and allows me to demo the Baxter threader when I travel no matter what lathe they have. Can't fly with it of course but as long as I drive it can travel with me.

Attachments

• 20230808_184808.jpg
    20230808_184808.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 32
Rick has the Baxter 12.5X and I have that one also. I can and do use it on my 10" Vicmarc, Delta 46-460s, Jet 1220 and the 12" Vevor I recently purchased. Amazing that all these bed gaps are the same.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com

Thanks!
Hi Mark, I haven't done threading myself but Cindy Drozda just did an online demo on this topic you might check out her Website or You Tube channel to see what she used. Also Carl Jacobson uses brass inserts, maybe that would work for you. Also on You Tube.

Back