• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Three Magi -AAW Permanent Collection

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Hi all! I know its been awhile since I posted so I thought I'd better catch everybody up. I've been working for the last year and half on a triptych series called The Three Magi. (I've been dealing with my Dad who is in a nursing home due to a massive stroke; moved my Mom in with me; cleaned out 62 years of accumulation in their house and garage and attic; still have to sell the house). This came at the request from past AAW President Phil Brennion. He asked me for something to put in the AAW Permanent Collection. There are 4 pictures in my album, one of each individual piece and a group shot of all 3. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Balthazar.jpg
    Balthazar.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Gaspar.jpg
    Gaspar.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Melchior.jpg
    Melchior.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 219
  • The 3 Magi.jpg
    The 3 Magi.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 218
Looking at the group shot, I'm left with the feeling that either (A) one of the pieces wasn't finished (the one on the right) or (B) the two on the left are too similar. That's not intended as a criticism of your artistic intent, just my reaction to the group shot. The one on the right just looks out of place. Weight carried lower than the other two. More subtle embellishment. "Bowl" on top looks thicker and more "closed".

Perhaps there is some religous rationale for one of your magi being radically different in design and embellishment, but unfortunately that's lost on me. Of the three I like the one on the left (Mechior) the best. Seems like a well balanced form and the embellishments complement the turning very well in my opinion. My eye is consistenly drawn to that one in the group shot.

Anyway, that's what I think.

Good luck dealing with your personal challenges.

Ed

Dick, I've been looking at these many times since you first posted them here and on the other sites I visit and I like them better each time. Congratulations on having them selected for the AAW permenant collection.

Back