• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The May 2023 turning challenge is for beginners

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'd almost be tempted but I already did the previous egg challenge (Was it last year, or the year before? Old age.. memory gets foggy...) but definitely enjoy watching new turners progress and evolve their skills... often to my own "jealousy" lol! ('cause they get to have mentors, club meetings, symposium visits, or just simply have far more latent talent than I ever hoped for...) So if you're a beginner, (or even count yourself as one) don't hesitate to give it a shot!

I was surprised at how difficult it is to turn a perfect egg shape. It sounds easy, but it was a humbling experience. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was making it thin and hollow, so I had tenons on each end. Visualizing the whole egg shape took some imagination. I think I got it though.

PXL_20230314_224405184.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I was surprised at how difficult it is to turn a perfect egg shape. It sounds easy, but it was a humbling experience. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I was making it thin and hollow, so I had tenons on each end. Visualizing the whole egg shape took some imagination. I think I got it though.

View attachment 52458

That's really impressive. but if you are thinking of entering your egg skeleton in the challenge, I'm afraid that it's too fancy. Rule 2 says:
  • Turn a plain wooden egg that isn’t embellished or decorated (no leftover Easter egg).
Also, for everybody reading this thread, be sure to post your entry in the May Challenge Thread in the Woodturning Discussion Forum and not here in this thread.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I'd almost be tempted but I already did the previous egg challenge (Was it last year, or the year before? Old age.. memory gets foggy...) but definitely enjoy watching new turners progress and evolve their skills... often to my own "jealousy" lol! ('cause they get to have mentors, club meetings, symposium visits, or just simply have far more latent talent than I ever hoped for...) So if you're a beginner, (or even count yourself as one) don't hesitate to give it a shot!

If you don't enter the challenge, folks might say that you are "chicken". :rolleyes: Did I hear a groan?

I could post anything from a rounded-end spindle to a baseball... LOL... my chickens have laid them all! You did say chicken egg? My turkeys have laid more of a perfect chicken egg than most my hens! Sorry.... can't play in this one, I'm 1,500 miles away from my lathe plus it's making a horrendous clunking every revolution. Time for a deep dive when I get home... someday...

Back