• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Collette Chuck

Website
www.synlube.net
In the bottle stopper video, Capt. Eddie uses a Collette Chuck with a MT shaft (#1749). The one he mentioned is can be obtained from Littlemachineshop.com. he was talking about something to do from the backside of the chuck and a locking nut. I'm fairly new to all the in's and out's of turning. Can anybody (especially Capt. Eddie) ellaborate on the use of the collette chuck and how to install it? I'd like to know more about this. Looks easier than gluing the dowell in the blank the chucking it in a standard chuck.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can buy #2 morse taper collets from just about any metal tool supply house. I get mine from either www.use-enco.com or www.mscdirect.com.
You buy them for the size piece you need to hold. In your case I think it is 3/8" but I'm not positive. The rear of the collet is threaded with I believe 5/16". You put a 5/16" rod into this and feed it through the headstock. Then make a threaded hand wheel for the outside of the headstock. The threaded handwheel pulls the Morse taper into the headstock locking the piece in the collet.
the work great. I have them from 3/16" up to 1/2".

Back