• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

The Big Ugly Tool with Fred Uggla

Odie, It is a scraper, so maybe a bit like the carbide tipped tools. It scrapes, it shear cuts, and you can do bevel rubbing cuts. Nice thing about it is the edge holding ability, and you can sharpen it on standard grinding wheels. Funny thing, it doesn't seem to make any difference which wheel I sharpen it on, grey wheel to 1000 grit CBN, the burr seems to be pretty much the same, unlike the more standard metals where grit makes a big difference.

robo hippy

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie, It is a scraper, so maybe a bit like the carbide tipped tools. It scrapes, it shear cuts, and you can do bevel rubbing cuts. Nice thing about it is the edge holding ability, and you can sharpen it on standard grinding wheels. Funny thing, it doesn't seem to make any difference which wheel I sharpen it on, grey wheel to 1000 grit CBN, the burr seems to be pretty much the same, unlike the more standard metals where grit makes a big difference.

robo hippy

Hiya Robo.......Just wondering if you've ever tried to raise a burr on the big ugly.....?

I have hand burnished a burr on it, which takes very little effort, just like on standard tools. I couldn't see any difference. Which brings up burnishing a burr on my scrapers that are sharpened on the 600 and 1000 grit wheels. They don't seem to be as good or better than the ones off the wheels. I noticed the same thing when sharpening on the 80 and 180 grit CBN wheels. It could be my burnishing skills too. I don't have that burnishing thing from Lee Valley.

robo hippy

Back