• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Termite clogging

Happy New Year to all.

I love using my Oneway Termite but it often clogs up and I have to knock out the shavings that are stuffed in the ring. Is there any way of avoiding that?
Also though I am very happy using the Termite are there any other ring type tools that are worth checking out?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Only three things I know of that will help. Bigger ring - I got one for mine - will pass larger shavings, but it still requires a smaller bite, the second thing, to keep from clogging, especially on wet wood.

Last is an interrupted ring, which is called a hook tool.

If it's any consolation, there are a lot of people who can't make the tool work as it should and produce shavings at all.

You might want to try one of the carbide-ended tools like the Hunter, where the shaving rolls against the direction of removal. Lots of people like 'em, and they're not too outrageous. If you have one of the multi-scrape type tools already, just buy the round guttered cutter.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
That's exactly why I use the Hunter tool. It cut the same way as the ring tool but can't clog. It also doesn't have to be sharpened so you do away with 2 of the hardest things to deal with on the ring tool.
The hook tool does stop the clogging but if you get a nasty catch you can break them. they also still have to be sharpened. On green wood this is a really great tool because it will remove a lot of wood quickly.
The Hunter tool doesn't remove wood as fast but cuts incredibly clean. I use other tools to waste away the wood and when I get close to the final size I switch to the Hunter. It is possible to do all the cuts with the Hunter it's just slower.
I use the Hunter #4 or #5 the most. If I'm cleaning up the walls of a vessel I use the #1 in a Jamieson style holder so I can get the tool at right angles to the wall of the vessel.

Website
www.abhats.com
The Termite can be a bit of a challenge to get working well. Wet wood will clog it easier than dry, but dry will also if you're too aggressive. Problem is that 'too aggressive' isn't really - the tool can be almost dangerous if you're really aggressive, but irritating if you're just a little aggressive as it clogs then.

All that said, I do like it's cutting (rather than scraping) for certain closed form shapes. I only use it when needed though and prefer the Woodcut Performe (hooded J tool) for most times when I can't use a gouge.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
As mentioned a larger ring helps.
I sharpen both openings in the ring. I can clear most clogs by flipping the ring. I think the trick is to cut no more than 1/2 a ring with of cut at a time.
It is a great tool.
happy turning,
al

Back