• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

TAW symposium

Although it's only a couple of hours from Florence i'm still undecided. Saturday would be the only day I could make it. The Lousiville symposium is the only one I've been to and I'm not sure what I would come away with in terms of information not available on the net, books or dvd's.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mike I always have ask myself the same question because money is always an issue. I've actually reached the point now where I need the little things that you don't get from a book or video. I need to watch how they use the tool and hold the tool in my hand and look at the grind.
Of course the best part is usually meeting the people,some whom I've only talked to on the web.

My goal is somewhere, somehow to refine what I know and add to that. Probably need a Campbell experience or something. My experience in Louisville wasn't bad but there was an awful lot of people trying to jockey for seats and the best view. Are the smaller ones any more user friendly. (I did meet some folks from this site and that was enjoyable).
Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The smaller symposiums are much better. I used to go to the Southern States Symposium but now I have a conflict every year with my job so I can't go anymore. The smaller symposiums are much more user friendly with less crowded rooms and not so many demos to choose from. There aren't as many people so it's easier to meet a lot of them. The same is true with the Vendor area. Not as much stuff to see but no crowds either. I highly recommend the small symposium. Less expensive also.
I'm was going to hit the Georgia symposium this year but I have to teach that weekend.
The AAW symposium is great as far as the instant gallery and vendor areas but you do have to get to any demos early if you want a good seat. Fortunately they have improved the videos a lot so you can usually see a monitor.

My goal is somewhere, somehow to refine what I know and add to that. Probably need a Campbell experience or something. My experience in Louisville wasn't bad but there was an awful lot of people trying to jockey for seats and the best view. Are the smaller ones any more user friendly. (I did meet some folks from this site and that was enjoyable).
Thanks

Mike it has been my experience(and opinion) that Symposiums and learning to turn are not the same. If just beginning or attempting to refine technique I would suggest taking hands-on classes at any of many fine craft schools or pro turners that teach. You go, again my opinion, to a symposium to socialize, see what's new in tools/equipment, get new ideas, and to extend the scope your turning (new directions, etc.) You need more than a basic knowledge of turning to realize full advantage from a symposium.

I agree with John, the local sympoisa are more user friendly, for all the reasons he stated.

Mike,
I think Louisville turned off a lot of people but I'm hoping that the AAW learned something and I'm going to Richmond this year. No matter what happens there though will not change my favorite symposia. Turning 2007 in Cincinnati, OH which is held every two years is my favorite without a doubt. Limited to about 250 folks it is a great venue. I also liked Totally Turning in Albany, NY and the Yankee Symposium that was in Middletown Connecticut last year. These smaller venues with smaller crowds allow what John was speaking of, seeing the position of the hands, how a tool is held, etc. No matter where I go, big or small, I always learn something from each demonstration.
Bill

That's what I'm looking for. The small things that I may not have picked up along the way. I may give it a try. Maybe I'll see some of you there.
Thanks

Back