• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Talon/NOva G3

I currently own the Talon chuck, and have been in the market for a 2nd chuck for sometime now, just haven't put out the cash, well I seen a good price on a body only Talon, and also Woodcraft has the G3 on sale, with the insert for 119.00, which is almost the cost of the nova body only.....it seems to me that the Nova has more jaws available, my thinking was use the Talon for bowls and the Nova with the pin jaws for ornaments and the such, smaller items.....any recommendations?.....any opinions?.....Dennis

Website
www.abhats.com
I started with the old Super Nova w/open back and still use it. I've since picked up a Titan and a tommy bar mini Nova. All because the jaw sets that Technitool makes (save for the extra large Titan ones) all work on any of the three chucks. I've seen no real advantage to having an enclosed back (I occasionally blow out the back of my old Super with my air compressor) and have had to take apart the Titan twice to clean it out (a pain, and be very careful of flying clips!). The only drawback I've had with the whole Technitool line is the lack of serious bowl jaws (sometimes called Cole jaws) - I now have a 5 1/4" Vicmarc beast and 14" bowl jaw set to solve that problem.

I have a G3 that I bought with my mini. Only real complaint with the G3 is that sometimes the key to tighten the chuck does not always drop right in on the first try.

Only other thought is that the G3 tightens opposite the Talon. G3 is lefty tighty instead of lefty loosey. I actually just ordered a Talon with the #3 tower jaws to go on my new PM. Time will tell if having them tighten in different directions bothers me or not.

jaw selection

I have 2 talons, a supernova 2 and vicmarc vm100 and vm120. I find myself using the vicmarc most of the time and the talon for some things where I forgot to put a dovetail on the tenon. I almost never use the nova. It is the only chuck I have had any trouble with. The others are like the energizer bunny, just keeps going and going. The vicmarc have the biggest selection of jaws next to the axminster and they are really quality pieces of machinery.

Vernon

The G3 came with my 1624. I hated the lefty tighty so I bought a Talon. As much as I would like to have another chuck I still wont use the G3. I'll probably end up buying 2 more Talons or a Vicmarc for the jaws.

Other then the lefty thing, the G3 worked fine. I find the chuck keys on both don't "drop-in" and require fiddling.

Burt

Talon Jaws

The Nova has a 1" set of jaws for small work, is there something similar in the Oneway line to fit a Talon.....I have the jaw sets for the Talon for bowls, but like the Nova short 1"(25mm) jaws and the extended pin jaws, wish there was something similar for the Talon, I would just go that route....anyone iknow of these?...Dennis

Back