• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Switch to variable speed

I am looking at putting a variable speed conversion on my Conover. I found the dc control box on eBay and now I need to find the correct dc motor. I was able to get the part number off a photo in a catalog for the controller but not the motor. Can someone that has made this kind of conversion point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Duff

DC's pretty simple as long as the motor has brushes. Capacity match in volts/watts is all you need. The controller is just an SCR with variable voltage output.

Now brushless are another matter altogether.

Lots of good stuff about DC motor options here. http://www.dcmotorsinc.com/index.php

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Look in your AAW Directory for Chuck Woodruff in WA state. I'm not sure he's still doing it, but he's the man to get the parts you need, and he has the knowledge to be sure you get what you need. All DC controllers are not created equal, and off the shelf one's are not always ideal. What runs a conveyor well is not the same as the varying loads of a lathe.

You could probably fit a variable frequency controller which use a three phase motor, which are cheaper, but the controller costs more. They are far superior to the DC setup, which is much better than a single speed.

I used a Conover with DC for years.:) Mount your motor on a sliding tray/shelf rather than hanging it. The lathe will be much smoother, and you can put a second shelf halfway down the bed, and simply move the motor and headstock to have a short bed lathe.

John

John

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
You could probably fit a variable frequency controller which use a three phase motor, which are cheaper, but the controller costs more. They are far superior to the DC setup, which is much better than a single speed.
John

I agree with John. Look into getting a 3 phase motor (usually very inexpensive when compared to comparable single-phase) and a VFD to convert your single phase input to 3-ph plus give the variable speed. This is the method used with the newer variable-speed lathes.

Back