• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stump and roots

Hi

A car knocked down a neighbor’s plum tree. Said I could take it, so I hitched it to the truck and pulled it the rest of the way out of the ground.

Some of the roots are almost as big around as the trunk, and the part of the stump that was in the ground is much bigger than the trunk

Any advice or watch outs turning roots or stumps? I know that rocks and dirt can be a problem, and sometimes roots look grown together when they are not.

Is it worth the effort? Will need to power wash and do lots of trimming before I could lay anything out.

Website
www.Hale-Construction.com
Go for it! Wear your face shield and stay out of the line of fire. You’ll sharpen more often, but every so often you find treasure in some wild grain or even some punky defects. Root balls are always interesting.

Hope no ants, keep it outside before u know....u know that piece of wood, eh

I just replied to the other root ball post. I stopped cutting root balls when I hit an imbedded brick. Too much cutting, too much abrasive debris, too little yield.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I got some very nice pieces from a catalpa tree stump a lady brought me a while back. It made driftwood look good. Her husband had pulled it out of the ground with his tractor so it was a tangled muddy mess. After a good washing with the hose and some careful cuts to get at promising looking pieces I got a lot more out of it than I thought. She ended up buying every piece I made out of it. Don't forget - not everything is a bowl. Some pieces are best suited for hollow forms and vases.

I haven't turned much root because I also had a decent chunk from a neighbors ornamental tree/bush.

Couldn't really see it at the time, or feel it, but it had some sort of sap substance within the root which gummed-up my CBN wheel whenever I sharpened my gouge. Wasn't obvious to me at the time, but I kept wondering why I needed to sharpen after (practically) every cut I would take. I figured out the grit on the CBN had been lightly coated to almost smooth with the sap substance. I bailed out on it as it wasn't worth the hassle.

I'm more aware now of making sure my gouges are "clean" before sharpening.

I know there can be some beautiful figure in root burls, but can be tough on gouges, and possibly CBN wheels. Just wanted you to be aware. Good luck.

Best to power wash it first. No doubt there are rocks embedded and power washing can uncover most of them.
What uncovers the rest of the rocks is either the nice fresh bandsaw blade or your favorite gouge :>) Ask me how I know. Plum is lovely stuff to work with, with some amazing color. It's dense and fine-grained, scrapes really well and takes fine detail, but isn't too tough to sand.

Attachments

• PC140014.JPG
    PC140014.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 19

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Are plum roots better at not checking than other fruit woods?

I spent time yesterday to clean up the root ball and cut into sections. More work than I expected to get it cleaned, and I removed dozens of rocks. What’s left should get me 4 12” bowls. The grain will have to be really special for me to do another stump.

I made one bowl from the trunk so far. Wet plum cuts like butter! Looks good too.

I spent time yesterday to clean up the root ball and cut into sections. More work than I expected to get it cleaned, and I removed dozens of rocks. What’s left should get me 4 12” bowls. The grain will have to be really special for me to do another stump.

I made one bowl from the trunk so far. Wet plum cuts like butter! Looks good too.
The big test is drying it without it twisting and splitting all out of shape.
The experience I had with plum is that it had beautiful colors when first exposed then as it dried it turned crud looking brown.

Back