• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stratos xl lathes

Some times the strong would stay in the back to protect the herd, and would do serious ass kicking if any thing tried....

robo hippy

@ Kevin:
The woodturning scene in Germany counts a lot of very competent woodturners, both skilled craftsmen and dedicated hobby turners. The Stratos has got a lot of praise on German woodturning fora. I know of a few being sold here in DK, too.
I can recommend a German dealer or two if that is any help. Their sales people normally read and make themselves understood in English.
Lars
If you could send me the contact information fot the German dealers, it would be much appreciated

Kevin

I don't think I'll ever have a use for swivel head lathe, as I really do not want to turn huge bowls , so if I get a 18" swing lathe, it'll be way more than enough for me. So, it may not necessarily be the Herd (I learned quickly that what works for everybody else may not be for me, so I take any Herd-Think with a grain of salt these days anyway) I'm sure if I were to have a dozen different AAW instructors try and work with me, I'd be pulled in a dozen different directions as to what is the "Right Way" to do things...

The primary advantages of a pivot HS are ergonomics, project accessibility, and required footprint. Being able to turn large dia items is also a benefit.

Ergonomics - the TS does not to be removed, nor the HS and banjo slid down. Just pivot the HS, align the toolrest, and go. No reaching or bending over the bed - the same as sliding the HS down. Full access to sand and/or apply finish, no bed in the way, no drips to clean off the bed.

Footprint - no TS storage/table needed. In the case of the Nova lathes, the outrigger takes ~ 5” of length, no width.

Yes it does provide the option to turn larger, which I have taken advantage of, and does not require a clunky floor supported tool rest.

I was recently doing some search for local dealers of the vl240, and the closest I could find is in Canada.

-----odie-----
Bought my 240 from Branches to Bowls in Canada. I think it’s a great lathe for those wanting a swivel head. Head and tailstock have never lost alignment.

The swivel head lathe comment is only a small part of the whole equation, within the reasons the American woodturning community moves as a herd.

Those in the international community are more likely to see it.....simply because they don't have such a vast network of community that America does. Since I was such a secluded learner in my early days, this is why I have this particular vision that is absent from "herd think".

Those who aren't a part of the herd, in regard to this particular subject, are those who are most likely to see the forest, in spite of the trees! :)

This is not to say that "herd think" is a bad thing. There is plenty of learning that can be done within the perimeters it creates, but it does tend to limit the horizons that could have been.

-----odie-----
I understand what you are trying to say and agree to a point. I bought my Record Power lathe because it had a pivoting headstock. I had a lot of people on different forums try to talk me out of it and into what they have because it has a sliding headstock and is just as good or better. I think if they would ever try a pivoting headstock they would realize they don’t compare, the pivoting headstock is a lot easier and faster to change and use.

The reason I was asking is that I am moving to Portugal this year
Kevin, I can’t comment on the lathe question, but on Portugal I can. We are just back from a three week trip to Portugal, first hiking through cork oak and eucalyptus forests, then along the coast, then a week in Lisbon. What a wonderful, friendly, delicious country. Fresh seafood cooked simply! I hope you are looking forward to moving there. Whenever we travel I say to myself “is this a place where I could imagine living?” Portugal definitely is. Have a wonderful experience! Bom dia!
7530A60E-01B6-4D82-AC63-8BF9F6727419.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I understand what you are trying to say and agree to a point. I bought my Record Power lathe because it had a pivoting headstock. I had a lot of people on different forums try to talk me out of it and into what they have because it has a sliding headstock and is just as good or better. I think if they would ever try a pivoting headstock they would realize they don’t compare, the pivoting headstock is a lot easier and faster to change and use.
I remember when you were lathe shopping, Rusty. I was sure you and others would be happy with the rotating headstock. It's the only kind of lathe I will be interested in, when I make that decision.

I'm curious what you mean by "agree to a point". Is it that you don't see the restrictive nature of "herd think" in the American woodturning community......or, is it something else?

-----odie-----

I remember when you were lathe shopping, Rusty. I was sure you and others would be happy with the rotating headstock. It's the only kind of lathe I will be interested in, when I make that decision.

I'm curious what you mean by "agree to a point". Is it that you don't see the restrictive nature of "herd think" in the American woodturning community......or, is it something else?

-----odie-----
What I mean is I don’t lump everybody into a herd. There are just a lot of people that were talked into a sliding headstock by others that own them that really don’t know the difference. That is all they know so now that is what they recommend. Having used both I will never own a lathe without a pivoting headstock.

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
If you refer to the Vicmarc lathes, Branches to Bowls exports to the US.
I was asking about the Stratos XL. I saw a video, where the turner tilted the headstock, added an extra bed, which made it look like a T bed.
But now that I'm thinking, if my Woodfast lathe was struggling with the McNaughton, then maybe this pivoting headstock may do some wild things under a lot of pressure.

Going back to my roots---need a Vicmarc! :D

I was asking about the Stratos XL. I saw a video, where the turner tilted the headstock, added an extra bed, which made it look like a T bed.
But now that I'm thinking, if my Woodfast lathe was struggling with the McNaughton, then maybe this pivoting headstock may do some wild things under a lot of pressure.

Going back to my roots---need a Vicmarc! :D
I have a pivoting headstock lathe. It locks down tight. I think it will handle anything pivoted that it will lined up with the bed. Mine is able to turn 39” outboard. I have not done anything larger than around 22” but it handles that with no problem.245D377E-B5CA-4724-8115-D49715BC4832.jpegE56AE0C9-351E-4C7D-82F2-A59A3CCF4CB3.jpeg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
What I mean is I don’t lump everybody into a herd. There are just a lot of people that were talked into a sliding headstock by others that own them that really don’t know the difference. That is all they know so now that is what they recommend. Having used both I will never own a lathe without a pivoting headstock.
OK, I understand your meaning now, Rusty. Thanks for responding.

Yes, I can agree that we can't lump everyone into "the herd". Many who don't realize it, and deny it.......are actually in the herd. That's problematic for the herd, as well as those who don't belong there. This is mainly because some of us see the entire woodturning community as a whole.....rather than from those "horse blinders" that are a result of subscribing to "herd think".

Your example of the movement within the herd about sliding headstocks, is a good indication of "herd think"......not withstanding that there are some examples of those who do benefit from a sliding headstock, when the advantages of that do indeed outweigh the benefits of a pivoting headstock. It's just that some people follow the herd, and never have exposure to alternative thought.....on this, as well as other aspects of woodturning. That's exactly where having a little more perspective increases one's horizons beyond what can be seen by wearing the horse blinders.

-----odie-----

I have a Stratos (180). But I’m in the UK! It’s great for bowls as by rotating the head I can stand square on to the work (as opposed to leaning over it with arms partially extended) and the tool handle does not foul the bed. A bed extension can be attached at right angles to the bed way and with the headstock rotated the whole lot is balanced.

It’s great for bowls as by rotating the head I can stand square on to the work (as opposed to leaning over it with arms partially extended) and the tool handle does not foul the bed.

Back in the day it was common to have the rear of a lathe spindle threaded for bowl turning. I recall the Delta lathes in high school woodshop were that way with a free standing tool rest. That free standing tool rest may not have been the best, but it wouldn't be rocket science to fabricate something mounted securely to the lathe or its stand.

The rear end of the spindle would have a left hand thread so the workpiece would turn opposite to what turners are used to.

I don't know why that isn't on the newer lathes.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
don't know why that isn't on the newer lathes.
It is on many lathes. Not needed on the sliding headstock machines

ONEWAY lathes have RH spindle threads on the outboard just switch to reverse for outboard
ONEWAY has a big outboard table and a giant banjo fo doing large work
A 17” bed on the outboard make a great shortbed for hollowing bowls or hollow forms.

The General 260 I had came with an outboard tool rest.

ONEWAY lathes have RH spindle threads on the outboard just switch to reverse for outboard
ONEWAY has a big outboard table and a giant banjo fo doing large work
A 17” bed on the outboard make a great shortbed for hollowing bowls or hollow forms.
I didn't realize that. About the only lathes I see are at Woodcraft or Rockler and they don't sell Oneway.

.... I will never own a lathe without a pivoting headstock.

Ditto! That is, not since they became available.

Before that I turned outboard on the rear of the headstock, which all of my earlier Woodfast lathes had.

I do 98% of my turning outboard. Mostly, nothing to do with the size of the piece, but more to do with my back/neck. For me, outboard is a very comfortable position for turning bowls, platters and hollow forms.

If I didn't have my swivel head Woodfast, then down this side of the pond I would probably go with one of the swivel head models from Vicmarc or Nova. The Laguna is another option that some are also happy with down our way.

Back