• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Stratos xl lathes

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The only reason I'd be interested in any lathe, is if it had a swivel headstock....and this one does. (See at 11:00) I'm a bit disappointed that American woodturners seem only to be interested in sliding head lathes, but it seems the international market has a number of them......probably because the American woodturning community only moves as a herd.

View: https://youtu.be/SMgzIX_lV7w

Last edited:
..probably because the American woodturning community only moves as a herd.

View: https://youtu.be/SMgzIX_lV7w
Not sure what you mean. I think the type of lathe one desires is a preference. I really don’t want a swivel head lathe. Doesn’t interest me. However I am an individual with my preference and not a label.

odie

TOTW Team
Not sure what you mean. I think the type of lathe one desires is a preference. I really don’t want a swivel head lathe. Doesn’t interest me. However I am an individual with my preference and not a label.

OK....Let me clarify, Bill.....

The American woodturning community moves as a unit....a herd.....generally because the learning process is very much packaged, in a box, with a pretty approved bow on top! Anyone outside of that, is considered to be doing things incorrectly.

You can agree or disagree with that, and many do.....but, that's the way I feel about the "American woodturning community".

-----odie-----

I'm a bit disappointed that American woodturners seem only to be interested in sliding head lathes, but it seems the international market has a number of them......probably because the American woodturning community only moves as a herd.

I definitely went against the herd with my “lathe upgrade choice” - Nova Galaxi, purchased specifically because it has a pivot and sliding HS, which I make use of frequently. I have turned on sliding HS lathes, and much prefer the pivot (as long as the lathe has a good outrigger tool rest that bolts and moves with the lathe, which the Galaxi has as an option).

I have looked at the Stratos. Too bad its not available in the US. I dont think many have turned on a good pivot HS lathe, most reference old reeves drive models that were structurally weak by design. While my 1st lathe, the HF 34706, definitely had its problems (shared by those lathes it copied), I quickly appreciated the pivot HS concept. When it came time to upgrade, a well designed pivot HS with outrigger was #1 on my “must have list”. If you havent turned on a Galaxi, Orion, or Nebula lathe, dont knock ‘em till ya tried ‘em. Some of the earlier dvr lathes were pretty light, and the drive control system had some shortcomings, but those issues were addressed starting with the Galaxi. And dont compare them to lathes that cost 2-3x, compare them to lathes in the same cost range.

Thank you For your responses. The reason I was asking is that I am moving to Portugal this year and was looking to purchase this lathe when I get there. I was hoping that some one had some experience on and could give the pros and cons of it.

again thank you for the replies

Kevin

OK....Let me clarify, Bill.....

The American woodturning community moves as a unit....a herd.....generally because the learning process is very much packaged, in a box, with a pretty approved bow on top! Anyone outside of that, is considered to be doing things incorrectly.

You can agree or disagree with that, and many do.....but, that's the way I feel about the "American woodturning community".

-----odie-----
Odie just because you like (or think you like) a swivel headed lathe does not make you a maverick, you are as much a part of that herd as anyone else. Woodturning is about choices and we have tons of those. My first good lathe which is now 20 or 21 years old is the Nova DVR3000 which I have been able to upgrade though each upgrade (speed dial, 5000 RPM etc.). I have had the outrigger for it since day 1 and its only use to this day is to hold the cord when unplugged and it holds the knock out bar. Never had the urge to swivel the head. Two of my lathes have sliding heads, only one of them has been used that way. It has been my experience that most people looking at swivel heads is do to a bodily injury or shortcoming (I know some just want a swivel head period). I know many Nova users that have never swiveled their head because they don't have the outrigger. Let's face it we are a Great Herd with tons in common.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Yeah.. like Bill said, I never swivel my head.. at my age, I get a bad kink in my neck if I do.. hehehe.

Kidding aside, I don't think I'll ever have a use for swivel head lathe, as I really do not want to turn huge bowls , so if I get a 18" swing lathe, it'll be way more than enough for me. So, it may not necessarily be the Herd (I learned quickly that what works for everybody else may not be for me, so I take any Herd-Think with a grain of salt these days anyway) I'm sure if I were to have a dozen different AAW instructors try and work with me, I'd be pulled in a dozen different directions as to what is the "Right Way" to do things...

odie

TOTW Team
Odie just because you like (or think you like) a swivel headed lathe does not make you a maverick

The swivel head lathe comment is only a small part of the whole equation, within the reasons the American woodturning community moves as a herd.

Those in the international community are more likely to see it.....simply because they don't have such a vast network of community that America does. Since I was such a secluded learner in my early days, this is why I have this particular vision that is absent from "herd think".

Those who aren't a part of the herd, in regard to this particular subject, are those who are most likely to see the forest, in spite of the trees! :)

This is not to say that "herd think" is a bad thing. There is plenty of learning that can be done within the perimeters it creates, but it does tend to limit the horizons that could have been.

-----odie-----

Thank you For your responses. The reason I was asking is that I am moving to Portugal this year and was looking to purchase this lathe when I get there. I was hoping that some one had some experience on and could give the pros and cons of it.

again thank you for the replies

Kevin
Kevin, I, too, lament that Stratos does not import to the US. I wonder if there are any turning clubs in Portugal, or elsewhere in Europe, that you might consult?

odie

TOTW Team
The coolest thing about the herd is its hundreds of prominent members leading in different directions.
The herd members keep producing objects never created before. Hmmm!

One of the noted things about this herd, is there are so many "prominent" turners that have something to sell you. Because of that, their advice is skewed towards the desired course.

This is not to say there aren't prominent turners who are truly independent thinkers....there are, but there is a mixture of accepted information that new turners don't have the foundations to decipher what is necessary elements to the learning process, and what isn't.

-----odie-----

Odie
You have contributed over 6000 comments and have many likes on this forum. This would lead one to assume that many of your comments and suggestions were tried by the "herd". Some were most likely tried and some were adapted by members of the "herd" and are now part of the collective knowledge of the "herd".

So welcome to the "herd" as a contributing member.

I enjoy reading your solutions to problems as some are unique and some are older techniques. Many have been forgotten or fell out of use due to newer and simpler techniques and materials that have been developed. Remember if there is no market for a device or tool no one will produce it. Hence advertising and endorsements. We may not like them but everyone has bills to pay and we are free to spend our money as we see fit as individuals.

Stu

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
One of the noted things about this herd, is there are so many "prominent" turners that have something to sell you. Because of that, their advice is skewed towards the desired course.
Not just in Woodturning. Same thing in Woodworking/ Flatwork via Youtube influencers.

I have learned (I think quite early on for me) when someone is plugging a method or technique or style that frequently leads to needing new tooling or accessories , to take it with a grain of salt -

I see plenty of it locally where the woodworkers are coming out of the woodwork (go figure!?) with all the big popular woodworking designs that everybody and his brother are promoting as "how to make projects that sell" - Noodle boards, farmhouse chic trash can bins, and more - All those starting out woodworkers thinking they can make themselves a ton of money.. and daily my local facebook marketplace feeds are filled (at least one a day) with someone or the other trying to sell their "custom design"

- As expected, asking prices are dropping steadily as the market becomes saturated, until some youtuber comes out with the next "latest, greatest" project that sells. There's little of it woodturning-wise (not many turners in my area) but I would not be surprised to start seeing more and more of the popular "weed pots, hummingbird houses, etc etc" as those "woodworkers" start spending money on a lathe (even then such turned items that supposedly sell like hotcakes elsewhere, don't sell well in my area) As a side note, I am also seeing a lot of woodworker's tools and machines coming up on those same marketplaces, often for bargain prices (But unfortunately for me, no decent lathes yet! there WAS one "old iron" delta but it didn't come with a motor, but for the price of motor and VFD it seemed to me, I may as well buy a new Jet)

Upshot of it is, only people I see making money are those youtube influencers trying to push the latest greatest product since that helps them fund their high end product purchases...

So, to the rest of the herd, I'd say "Take it all with a grain of salt and do your own thing that makes you happy, chances are you're not going to be a better turner just because you have the latest, greatest thingamabob, and likely not going to make a living , or even a good profit, selling your turnings to the general public"

(Try selling a peppermill when the kit costs $25 by itself and your local buyers don't want to pay more than $20 for the nicest possible peppermill, etc... Can you tell why I gave up buying kits unless I want to make something for ME?)

odie

TOTW Team
Note: I received a PM from someone who felt insulted by my thoughts about "herd think" and how that applies to the "American woodturning community".

It is not my intention to insult anyone....

I do have my opinions about how "group think" influences the directions of the American woodturning community.....and from my perspective, those beliefs are unlikely to change. It's fine for those who disagree with me.....that's probably a good thing overall......because some of you are influencing this conversation with other perspectives.

-----odie-----

Website
www.studiocsh.com
Johannes Michelsen was a vendor as of 2017 at AAW Kansas City. Looks like he doesn't do it anymore though, maybe someone else can take up the mantle? Though if they really are just under $6k, that might be the answer right there; at that money there's no real reason to get the Stratos instead of the Vicmarc VL240.

The Axminster 406/508 also have the swivel/sliding head but…not available to the US market. Just buy a Harvey T-40 to get the swivel head and a servo motor, that will scatter the herd!! LOL

odie

TOTW Team
Johannes Michelsen was a vendor as of 2017 at AAW Kansas City. Looks like he doesn't do it anymore though, maybe someone else can take up the mantle? Though if they really are just under $6k, that might be the answer right there; at that money there's no real reason to get the Stratos instead of the Vicmarc VL240.

I was recently doing some search for local dealers of the vl240, and the closest I could find is in Canada.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
So, how come I haven't bought the great VL240 Vicmarc lathe? (....and, I do absolutely believe it to be a great lathe!)

Personally, I could swing it, if it were everything I wanted in a lathe, but it does fall short because of that terrible banjo. This Vicmarc banjo is similar to the Woodfast banjo that I also hated so much..... The Vicmarc banjo employs a grub screw locking mechanism, and only offered with a 30mm post hole with a sleeve to accommodate 1" post tool rests. I eventually replaced my substandard Woodfast banjo, by purchasing a Robust Sweet 16 banjo.....and have been spoiled by the far superior locking mechanism in the Robust replacement banjo.....Brent engineered this Sweet 16 banjo right!

At one time, I considered the VL240 with the purchase of another banjo, but since it's swing is 19.29", I am unaware of any banjos that would accommodate my existing large collection of tool rests with 1" posts. Vicmarc's lack of vision for entering the US market is their failure.

To Vicmarc's credit, they do offer a 1 1/4" x 8tpi spindle with no2 MT, which is the only thread spindle I'll ever have, considering my vast array of chucks and other accessories that will need to cross over to the new lathe.

-----odie-----

@Brent@TurnRobust

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
one time, I considered the VL240 with the purchase of another banjo, but since it's swing is 19.29", I am unaware of any banjos that would accommodate my existing large collection of tool rests with 1" posts. Vicmarc's lack of vision for entering the US market is their failure.
. Call ONEWAY they sell banjos to fit just about every popular lathe.

At one time, I considered the VL240 with the purchase of another banjo, but since it's swing is 19.29", I am unaware of any banjos that would accommodate my existing large collection of tool rests with 1" posts. Vicmarc's lack of vision for entering the US market is their failure.
-----odie-----

@Brent@TurnRobust
I have a 20" Oneway banjo on my General lathe. Top of the banjo is 7 3/8" above the ways which might or might not work with your rests on the Vicmarc. I consider it a very good design.

@ Kevin:
The woodturning scene in Germany counts a lot of very competent woodturners, both skilled craftsmen and dedicated hobby turners. The Stratos has got a lot of praise on German woodturning fora. I know of a few being sold here in DK, too.
I can recommend a German dealer or two if that is any help. Their sales people normally read and make themselves understood in English.

odie

TOTW Team
. Call ONEWAY they sell banjos to fit just about every popular lathe.
I have a 20" Oneway banjo on my General lathe. Top of the banjo is 7 3/8" above the ways which might or might not work with your rests on the Vicmarc. I consider it a very good design.

Hi Al and Kevin......

Yes, I'm aware of the Oneway banjos, however I'd prefer to have a dogleg type of banjo for better clearance while in conjunction with some of my other accessories and jigs. I do think the Oneway banjos are a great design and manufactured well, though.

-----odie-----

Here is a photo of my two Robust banjos. I eventually sold the straight banjo because of clearance problems. I kept the dogleg banjo, and I have been thrilled with it over the past five years I've been using it.
IMG_5109.JPG

Now, I am wondering, which came first, the sliding headstock or the pivoting headstock. There is always a learning curve when 'new' products come out, and that is the primary reason I do not buy 'new and improved' products till they have been out and 'tested' by the general market for a while, mostly so all the bugs can get worked out. First sliding headstock I saw was the 3520A, which I think was a Rudy Olsolnick idea. First pivoting headstock I was was a Jet 14 inch lathe, and just looking at it, I would not have taken that if it was given to me. So, it is live and learn. The early Nova lathes had a pivoting headstock, and I didn't think that design was very good either. I think they have made a lot of progress that way.

Now, I am wondering if the Robust tool rest could be 'adjusted' to fit on the Vicmark????? I do like it better than the Vicmark, and then I wouldn't need 30mm tool posts or the little sleeve that is made so you can use 1 inch posts....

robo hippy

Now, I am wondering if the Robust tool rest could be 'adjusted' to fit on the Vicmark?????
I think you mean the banjo. I dont see why not. Dont you have an American Beauty? Probably just need a clamp block made to fit the bed gap. Compare length and total perpendicular to bed movement.

Also include the Oneway banjos in your search. Pretty sure both will make custom clamp blocks for most any bed gap.

The coolest thing about the herd is its hundreds of prominent members leading in different directions.
Hmmm! Okay, about the only thing I know about the turning community is what I see on this forum. I see mentions of names of "prominent" turners, I don't see them leading in different directions though. Not many of them post on this forum.

Objects never created before? Maybe the fragile constructed pieces with a little turning, a little carving, painting and who knows what else. The journal seems to feature some every issue. Those don't interest me in the least bit. There's something about handling a solid wood piece, the kinda warmth you get that those fragile constructions couldn't give even if you could handle them.

My idea of different directions and never created before will come with CNC. I expect in the next ten years or so it'll be the hottest thing in "turned" looking wood art. It's happening now in ornamental turning where 15 years it was very unwelcome. We all know how my mention of CNC went over with the herd on this forum.

What's going on with the AAW? Not long ago I received a letter from the AAW. My first thought was it was a reminder to renew my dues. It wasn't, it was asking for donations.

Brain 'offgassing'! Yes, I meant banjo....... Traveled to Phoenix for 5 days, and travel takes a lot out of me now days, even if health is excellent....

robo hippy

Before we get too full of ourselves, and wax philosophical. Let’s look at what a truly wise man had to say about “creating“ many centuries ago.
Ecclesiastes 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
That verse always puts me in my place when I think I’ve “created” something.
For me this is the beginning of spiritual turning.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Perhaps we differ on a definition of new

Take a peak at Trent Bosch’s work. https://trentbosch.com/portfolio/
Google pascal Oudet

I did a few things I’ve never seen before but then I haven’t seen everything
DEEC5283-B35B-4365-AEA9-B92E3FB93DF4.jpeg
A8C24730-0047-4226-BB97-CC04F810ED0F.jpeg 09CD0B58-7DE0-4544-9179-4EA348B38F42.jpeg 55D10938-5967-4974-8602-063D1F3B31B2.jpeg

Back