• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Steel City 8" Grinder

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
I am thinking about purchasing one of the new Steel City 8" Grinders but i there are not any dealers near me and from the pictures the base looks like it protrudes out towards the grinding wheels. I need to make sure that there is enough room between the base and wheel to mount Wolverine Sharpening System tool bases.

Can anyone confirm if there is enough room, and give comments on the grinder.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I don't have the Steel City Grinder or a wolverine but it looks to me that although the grinder's base does protrude out a bit, it's not nearly far enough to prevent you from installing a wolverine. The Wolverine base mounts directly under the wheel and doesn't protrude much past it on the motor side of the wheel.

Almost any grinder you may purchse will require that you put a spacer(usually plywood)between the grinder base and the surface it is mounted to. This easily accommodates the Oneway jig.

Steel City Grinder

Looking at the grinder on their website, the Wolverine or similar system will mount under it. You may wish to mount the grinder on a base and then mount additional material under the wheels. A sink cutout is wonderful for this purpose.

I notice it is 3450 RPM. Make sure you want that rather than the 1750 RPM. If you go for it remember someone said, You always have a slow speed grinder, just turn it off when it gets up to speed and grind as it slows down. :cool2:

I tried that with my 1750 and got several passes on a bowl gouge before the wheel stopped.

John :)

Back