• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spur Center Removal

In my first post in Introductions, I asked for ideas on how to remove a rusted spur center from a drive spindle on a vintage Craftsman 12" Wood Lathe. I got some very good advice and implemented it with total success. Since my local auto parts store did not have Lock Ease, I got some PB Blaster and shot it in there. As advised, I whacked it harder and harder until I bent the meager rod I was using and I noticed that the spindle bearing was starting to come out of the seat. So I braced the spindle with a 1/2" drive deep socket against another 1/2" drive deep socket on the tailstock, which I snugged up tight. I got a more substantial rod and whacked it a couple more times and the spindle came right out. It was well rusted, and since I did not receive a face plate when I bought the lathe, that spur center may have been on there for decades. Now I can install the face plate and learn how to make a shallow bowl. Thanks to all of you who gave good advice and helped me to figure this out!

Attachments

• Lathe Spur Center Removal.jpg
    Lathe Spur Center Removal.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Lathe Spur Center 2.jpg
    Lathe Spur Center 2.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 36
Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
Well done. Be sure to tidy up the morse taper surfaces inside and out.

On to face plates... Do not use brittle screws like sheet rock screws. (I use stainless steel metal type screws, usually #12 or #14.) Four screws may be ok for what you will turn on this lathe, but think 6 or 8 going forward. Face plates like a flat surface. If your blank doesn't have one, make one.

Enough lecture. Go turn something.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Around the turn of the century Stewart Batty removed a stuck spur drive from one of our club lathes by using two wrenches.
One on the spindle and one on the spurs where it was square to the wrench.

I’ve used this several times since and I would use this method over hammering.

Back